Thread: Preformance Oppurtunities for Euphonium, Outside of The Military

1. Preformance Oppurtunities for Euphonium, Outside of The Military

I have been considering going into preformance, instead of education in college, I have questioned myself though, wondering WHAT WOULD I DO!

I don't dislike the military, infact I would join if I could. I have asthma.

So what are preformance oppurtunities for Euphonium outside the military?

Preformance Oppurtunities for Euphonium, Outside of The Military

Hi Luke, paying gigs are so rare as to be almost non-existant. One can make a little $ in certain areas playing college graduations, retirement communities, etc., as part of a tube quartet or other chamber music ensemble. But these are not solo performance opportunities, and certainly will not allow you to make a living.

I know three local graduate euphonium performance majors under 30 who did not go into education. One of them studied as part of one of the most prestigious studios in the country (it was not North Texas); that person is now working towards a PhD in statistics, and will probably be a great addition to some community band someday. Another is working in specialized computer programming and playing for free locally. The third is eking out a living teaching primarily trombone in a small studio with very young players.

If you are lucky enough to have money -- i.e. you do not have to have an income from music to support yourself -- that's one thing. Work up recitals, hire a hall, invite your friends and perform.

If not, you can do the performance major, and perform as a passionate amateur while earning a living at something else.

John

John sums it up pretty well. There are few people who do not go through the military band routine but still have a career (a very few). Adam Frey comes to mind. But mostly there is no other good FTE choice in the USA. A euphonium player who wishes to have a music career and wants to join a military band should still not count on that - the opportunities are very, very competitive.

So I generally recommend that you have a good strong skillset for a money-making career. And that's not just for euphonium wannabe's. Conventional Wisdom these days says that most college grads will change careers several times in their lives.

I know some extremely happy players who work at one thing during the day and play in a community group on some evenings. If you are in a good, vibrant community, there will be opportunities.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Preformance Oppurtunities for Euphonium, Outside of The Military

I would like to re-iterate what John and Dave have said. I have been a serious amateur euphonium performer for 50 years now. I was fortunate that both parents had been music majors at University of Michigan from 1937-1941 and were teachers after the war. I knew what a music career would be. I decided before I graduated from high school that I wanted to play all I could, but earn a living outside music.

I went to UC Berkeley and majored in Computer Science. I spent 27+ years working in the technology business (4 startups in 17 years). I also spent 10 years as a high school math teacher (or studying for same). The first career paid for my retirement. The second career paid expenses until I retired last June. Now I am free to practice, take lessons, and play as much as I would like. I am following the John Jones approach of hiring a hall and playing recitals.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I read this thread a few days ago and wanted to reply - but just being an amateur - wasn't sure how much it would help. I'm glad the pros (or nearly pros) chimed in here.

My son, now 36, was an excellent brass player in HS. He played euph and trombone in the HS band and thought about majoring in music. He took private T-bone lessons from Art Sares who was one of the best T-bone players I've ever heard. Art Sares was a student of Tommy Dorsey and inherited his gold-plated King 2B. Art was first call in Chicago for many years and if you ever happen to listen to "Muzak", the T-bone you heard was probably Mr. Sares. When my son talked with me about majoring in music, I said, "Of course it's up to you, but look at how hard Mr. Sares still works now in his late 70s." At the time Mr. Sares taught privately and was also an adjunct professor at two colleges locally. I also said if you wanted to teach, that would probably work out, but as a performance major it will be really tough. He decided to major in electronical and computer engineering and is now professor at NC State. He still plays music, but it's now piano.

Hope some of this helps. Making a living performing can be really tough.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

For kicks, I play in downtown Minneapolis from time-to-time for tips. What I hear the most out of people stopping to listen is, "What's that?" I think that describes the demand for euphoniums pretty well. I'm not sure who else experiences the occasional instrument envy, but I do.

I have done fairly well in the past with spurts of playing gigs from brass ensembles I've put together with friends. These have paid anywhere from $40-120 apiece per performance. It's not enough to make a living, but, especially in college, it can be kind of nice. I've also done solo performances at churches around Iowa before graduating but never had it in me to accept the payment offered.

I agree with a number of others on this thread in that playing in your free time may be the way to go. It doesn't have to always be a concert band. I have a tuba/euphonium ensemble as well and have had the opportunity to perform in an orchestra twice. Sometimes, you have to make your own opportunities.

If you love the euphonium just play it and enjoy yourself.

If you play like Steven Mead, David Childs, or any of the other great soloists, then you may be on to something big. You should know by now if that describes you.

If not, then pick a career and get down to the business of making money so you can support your hobby like many of us do.

I love the euphonium, but if I had to use it to put food on the table, then I would starve.

Lee