Thread: Beirut

Beirut

My 17 yo daughter who is somewhat of a hipster shared this video with me. It is a very unique group indeed. In the below video, they are playing an impromtu "take away" show outside a bar in Paris. I have never seen a euphonium used like this. What genre would this be? The lead singer is American. It is called Nantes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc3ZA...PT3pWQy9Xv9z7B

This next video is actually pretty cool as they find a restaurant/bar in Paris and kind of flash mob it. This piece is called The Penalty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qQc...eature=related

This last video is the best quality one. It is a stage performance somewhere and is more professional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAir9...feature=fvwrel

Enjoy,

Lee

Beirut

It is funny actually that no one has commented on these videos. I actually was at a loss for words myself. I guess they are a bit strange.

Maybe this should have been under sightings instead of pop/jazz.

Lee

Beirut

This group was mentioned once before under the euph sightings topic. The thread was something like "Baritones In Alternative Music". I checked out your links a while back. I enjoy this group and what they are doing. My impression is that they use the euphonium because they happen to own one; I noticed that a couple of different musicians perform on it.

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

Beirut

You are probably correct because I dont think they are really trying to achieve any particular sound with the horns.

5. These are just ad hoc street performances but if you listen to their studio recordings you'll see they use the euphonium and baritone horn pretty extensively with a nod to the Balkan brass band tradition. So there is a precedent and they aren't just using it because they happen to own one.

The "percussionist" was last seen working for the Houston Astros...
    But good stuff!
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

7. Hah! It's definitely not a case of "they happen to own one." Just because the sound isn't what you're used to hearing doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing...

My friend Jon Natchez is playing the alto horn in those videos. He also plays euphonium, valve trombone, and several other instruments.

Bari sax is his main axe though, which he plays with the band War on Drugs.

He's also an accomplished film composer. A fantastic musician. Thanks for the videos.