Thread: mouthpiece causing unnatural sharpness?

1. mouthpiece causing unnatural sharpness?

I have been playing with my instrument for quite awhile and it has been often very sharp, the horn plays very well and has great feel to it, but the tuning has been sharp. today while tuning no matter how i was tuning i was always a tad sharp. for the past couple of weeks i have been using my school's instrument as to not bring my instrument to school, the mouthpiece is two sizes and shanks. would using the smaller shanked ( a bach 5GS) after using a larger mouthpiece effect the tuning enough to make it extremely sharp to where the tuning slide is almost out? i was told by Mr.Werden to get a Denis Wick 4AY, in another forum post, to produce a better sound, but would that help adjust my sharpness and problem with the instrument?

mouthpiece causing unnatural sharpness?

This can be caused by a variety of issues including embouchure. The mouthpiece, though, can easily be the culprit. When I switched horns in college, I had definite intonation issues. Up to that point, I had used 2 horns previously with very little problems with intonation. I had to keep upgrading to bigger and bigger mouthpieces until I found one that worked (SM3). I actually attempted to go up to a larger one (Lehman S) only to find out that it is impossible to attain. This mouthpiece issue could certainly be the case for you.