Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 51D to 4 size

51D to 4 size

I went from a 51D to a 4AM to a Heritage 4ABL (when I got a large shank horn). The 51D produced a nice tone for me, but the latter two are very flexible and responsive (and produce a good tone). It didn't take long to adapt to the 4AM after playing the 51D.

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

2. 51D to 4 size

Judging from your responses, it seems as if this is a very possible switch to make. My only question now is if it is necessary? I have been playing euphonium for a little over 3 years now, and I am a pretty advanced level High School student. I play on a 1977 Besson New Standard, and do you think it is really necessary for me to switch to a larger mouthpiece?

NOTE: My high range isn't exactly what I would like it to be, I can hit a high D on good days, so if a larger mouthpiece would weaken my high range, it might be a good reason to remain on my 51D.

51D to 4 size

Originally posted by: Euphinator NOTE: My high range isn't exactly what I would like it to be, I can hit a high D on good days, so if a larger mouthpiece would weaken my high range, it might be a good reason to remain on my 51D.
    Actually, the opposite might be true, depending on how you approach high notes. If you rely on pure chop strength, the 51D might make it easier. But for a really strong high range you need to use a LOT of air. In that case, the 4AL (or Heritage 4AL, or even the Heritage 4ABL) will allow you to get more air moving freely and will really let you high range "ring."

For me, the 51D would make high notes more difficult, not less. It might be different for you.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. 51D to 4 size

I have just spent the last week and a half experimenting between the 51D and the 4AY on my 321.

For me, the high notes are much easier on the 51D because there is more bite on the inner rim. The smaller inner diameter makes the high notes easier as well.

With the Wick, I have a bit of a harder time finding the note when I jump right up into the extreme range if you will.

After playing the 4AY every day, I have to say, my endurance is not as good on the wick and the sound goes fuzzy quicker when I get tired.

The intonation is better on the Schilke throughout the horn.

The bottom end on the schilke is stuffy and thin whereas the bottom end on the wick is powerful and wide open.

In the end, for me, the Wick sounds much better than the Schilke, period...

So in the end, you have to decide what rim size, cup depth, design, etc, etc, works for you.

Lee

51D to 4 size

Lee,

I had the same problem with the Wick, but after a couple of weeks of consitant playing, the high range finally clicked in.

BTW, I love the Alliance Meade 4!

Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

6. 51D to 4 size

Thanks. by the way, that is a fine looking horn in that profile pic sarge

51D to 4 size

I just received a 51D in the mail. This is the same mouthpiece I used to play on 20 years ago. (for those that haven't read my other posts...I just recently got back into playing. Bought a new Schiller Elite just last friday)

I've also ordered a SM4U (gold) after reading up on them. I will give my ignorant comparison of the two once I get some time to play on both of them.

Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

8. 51D to 4 size

I just thought I would add an update. I ended up sticking with the 4AY for my Yamai 321. It just has a much more beautiful sound. You get used to the upper register after a while. The bottom end is solid and strong.

I think ideally that I would prefer just a tad smaller inner diameter, but the 4AY does the job.

Lee

9. 51D to 4 size

Would it be easier for a player with big lips to use a bigger mouthpiece? Or would that just cause a double buzz?

51D to 4 size

Size of lips has no relation at all to the size of mouthpiece one would prefer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12