X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CKH
    • Jul 2008

Cloth stuck in tuning slide!

I was cleaning out my horn today and got some t-shirt material stuck in my third valve slide. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Christian
  • uieuph
    • Dec 2005

air compressor

Comment

• carbogast
      • Mar 2006

Obviously, a repairman could get it out in a jiffy without damaging the slide in any way. If you can't do this, then your two basic tactics are applying pressure (pushing) or pulling. In either case friction is a problem, so a little oil will help.

There are some repairman that contribute to this forum that you may wish to wait to hear from before attempting anything. I am not a repairman, but have some ideas as follows:

An air compressor (already suggested) would be good and if you have good water pressure at the tap, that might also do it. Either way, you will need to cobble together a fitting.

Consider pulling. You might be able to fish it out with a small hook and line. If you happen to have a steel guitar string, you might be able to work it past the jam. Then attach something to one end that will allow you to pull on it and drag the cloth out. Don't forget the oil.

Finally, reconsider a repairman.

Good luck and don't panic, it will come out.

- Carroll

Carroll Arbogast
      Piano Technician
      CMA Piano Care

Comment

• carbogast
        • Mar 2006

One thing, you weren't specific about the exact nature of the material caught in the slide. Is it a jam, or is it just a shred of material caught in the spit valve area?

- Carroll
        Carroll Arbogast
        Piano Technician
        CMA Piano Care

Comment

• CKH
          • Jul 2008

It's in the actual tuning slide. I was cleaning them out individually with a snake. I took a t shirt and cut it up into strips and attached it to the snake with via a rubber band. I couldn't push it all the way through, so I pulled it out and the shirt part and rubber band is still in there.

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Without seeing it, I don't know all the angles, etc. But from the sound of it I would suggest dripping some liquid soap down the tube so it soaks the cloth and rubber band. Then the first thing I would try is just to blow hard on the end of the tube furthest away from the clog and see if it will come out (the soap helps provide a better seal to build up air pressure and also lubricates it). If that doesn't work, or if there is no decent air seal around the clog, then I might try pushing a standard cleaning snake down to see if you can push it out.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
            YouTube: dwerden
            Facebook: davewerden
            Twitter: davewerden
            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• CKH
              • Jul 2008

Thanks for all the replies. I can't push it out with a snake because the angle is too sharp and it won't go through the entire way. Would a pressure washer with no water work? (I guess I'm asking it it would only shoot out air)

Comment

• RickF
                • Jan 2006

I think Dave Werden's suggestion is a good one. The soap would help lubricate and seal so you could blow it out... unless it's really jammed in there.

You could also try using a 'grabber tool' or 'pick up tool' like this one:

This one is 22" long so should be able to reach down the long 3rd slide. Even has a light on the grabber end. Not sure how remote you are, but this type tool should be available at any home store like Lowe's or Home Depot or ACE hardware. The one pictured is sold at Grainger
                Rick Floyd
                Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)
                ​

Comment

• daruby
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by: RickF

I think Dave Werden's suggestion is a good one. The soap would help lubricate and seal so you could blow it out... unless it's really jammed in there.

You could also try using a 'grabber tool' or 'pick up tool' like this one:

This one is 22" long so should be able to reach down the long 3rd slide. Even has a light on the grabber end. Not sure how remote you are, but this type tool should be available at any home store like Lowe's or Home Depot or ACE hardware. The one pictured is sold at Grainger
                  Appropriately called a "pickle plucker"! ;-)
                  Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                  Concord Band
                  Winchendon Winds
                  Townsend Military Band

Comment

• CKH
                    • Jul 2008

I tried to fish it out with a bent metal hanger but it didn't work. I'll just head to the repair shop tomorrow and see what they can do.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

• carbogast
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by: CKH

It's in the actual tuning slide. I was cleaning them out individually with a snake. I took a t shirt and cut it up into strips and attached it to the snake with via a rubber band. I couldn't push it all the way through, so I pulled it out and the shirt part and rubber band is still in there.
                      Yeah, rubber bands aren't strong enough. For next time: What works pretty well for pulling cloth is 20 or 30 lb fishing line attached with a good knot. What I do is tie the line around the middle of the cloth, not the end. I also use a small lead sinker on the other end to lead the line through the slide. There are some good snakes out there, but I still prefer fishing line and old t-shirts. It is even possible to clean all the ports of the 3rd valve on a compensating horn using this method.

Don't be discouraged and stop cleaning your horn yourself, in the long run you will develop a good method, save lots of money, and keep the horn in good shape and sounding good.

- Carroll
                      Carroll Arbogast
                      Piano Technician
                      CMA Piano Care

Comment

• Euphinator
                        • Feb 2011

On a similar note, one of my bandmates today thought it would be a funny idea to throw a plastic water bottle cap into my horn. So now I have a cap stuck in my horn. I can still make a sound, but it definatly sounds stuffy. Do you think a simple trip to the local music shop would be able to fix this using a snake wire?

Comment

• davewerden
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by: Euphinator On a similar note, one of my bandmates today thought it would be a funny idea to throw a plastic water bottle cap into my horn. So now I have a cap stuck in my horn. I can still make a sound, but it definatly sounds stuffy. Do you think a simple trip to the local music shop would be able to fix this using a snake wire?
                          If the cap is somewhere between the bell and tuning slide, then I have some tips. If not, see a technician.

This is similar to a time when I got a botton of valve oil stuck. It went down my bell and most of the way around the bottom curve. See if you can find some plastic tubing, like some folks use to siphon water out of an aquarium, or some other slightly stiff tubing. Take out your tuning slide and run the tube through until it hits the cap. Then "tap" on the cap and see if you can dislodge it.

Or you could try a fast spray of water through the same path.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                          YouTube: dwerden
                          Facebook: davewerden
                          Twitter: davewerden
                          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
                            • Feb 2006

If it goes into a shop, they'll run steel ball bearings into it to knock it out. They'll feed in the biggest size that will fit.

It could be quick, or it could be expensive.

I had a $100 golf ball last summer in a tuba.

Whatever the cost is, pass it on to the idiot who threw the cap in.

Comment

• Euphinator
                              • Feb 2011

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have gone past the tuning slide, it was an average white water bottle cap. So Dr. Werden, if i used something like a hose, and put it in the main tubing slide, it should shoot it out?

Comment

Working...
                              X