Thread: NERTEC 2011

NERTEC 2011

Info here:

Northeastern Regional Tuba-Euphonium Conference

Should be fun!

[Moderator edit to fix and show link]

NERTEC 2011

David Childs just confirmed that he will be there as a guest artist. For a list of performers, see the link above. Sounds like a *GREAT* event!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

NERTEC 2011

Looking forward to being there and performing there. Also looking very much forward to meeting new friends!!!
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

NERTEC 2011

I believe it's in New Jersey.

Ken F.

5. NERTEC 2011 (Update)

I went to NERTEC 2011 and had a great time (mostly). Unfortunatly, I did not attend on Friday even though I was in NJ. I was ill and stayed in the hotel. But Saturday was great!. While there were many fine performances, including those that I missed on Friday, my favorites were Brandon Jones' recital, the New Amsterdam Brass Band (in general), and David Childs performance with the NABB.

I purchased Brandon's CD a year or two ago and loved it, particularly his sound. But it was especially inspiring to meet with Brandon, spend some relaxing time chatting, and then hear his virtuoso performance on Saturday afternoon up close and personal. Harkening back to Arthur Lehman's article about "finesse" vs. "power" players, Brandon is definitely a power player. It was refreshing and exciting to hear a performance in which it was clear that to all the performer was "letting it all hang out" in the most musical way. Even at "sotto voce" levels, Brandon has the sweetest sound I have heard in a long time. He uses the small bell 2051 (same as I play) and gets a wonderful "shimmer" to his high range, yet retains a full and mellow low and mid range. Of course he can play at all dynamic ranges with control and finesse as well, but clearly is not afraid to let fly when the music calls for it. Brandon's performance of John Stevens' Soliloquies was awe inspiring. Bravo, Brandon!

I decided to sit in center 2nd row of the Montclair Citadel for the finale performance of the New Amsterdam Brass Band so I could get the full impact of their performance. Composed of NYC area professionals and teachers, NY Staff Band members, and selected students, this is clearly a championship caliber brass band. They played a very demanding first half, including Philip Sparke's Year of the Dragon. Just a fantastic, exciting performance.

Anything I could say about David Childs has already been written. His sound, stage presence, technical facility and personality all combine to complete the package. While he displayed his technical facility on several numbers including Peter Graham's Brillante (a duo written for the Childs brothers played as a solo) and his Hot Canary encore, I was most impressed by his performance of Lament from Stabat Mater by Karl Jenkins. Spending some time with David at the hotel over beers after the performance was a bonus for me. Plus "NEWS AT 11", David will be a father in November! We are really lucky to have David in the euphonium world these days.

NERTEC was enjoyable for me, even though I was under the weather some. My final recommendation:

If you haven't heard either Brandon Jones or David Childs live yet, run, don't walk, to the nearest performance of either. They are fantastic.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

NERTEC 2011

Doug,

You're too kind... thank you so much for the very generous and kind words. It was a pleasure to finally meet you and get some time to chat a bit as well. I was meaning to email you, but for some reason do not have your email. Shoot me one if you don't mind... Hope you're feeling better, and we'll be in touch soon!
    Brandon Jones
    bmjones82@gmail.com

NERTEC 2011

Great website Brandon! I am going to order your CD. You have been given a wonderful gift from above.

Lee

NERTEC 2011

Thanks, Lee! I hope you enjoy the music on the CD! I appreciate your compliments. I'm just trying to use what little He gave me.
    Brandon Jones
    bmjones82@gmail.com