Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mouthpiece tests for the Besson 2056 4V Compensating Baritone

1. Mouthpiece tests for the Besson 2056 4V Compensating Baritone

Remington Shank is not quite the same as "eruo" or medium shank, but close. It is quite a bit larger than just a bit different taper compared with a Bach tenor shank. The Conn 88H's and the Conn Connstellation euphonium both used Remington shank. I have a couple of the mouthpieces, including a very nice Conn 3 with gold plating. Definitely does not fit into a tenor shank horn. The medium shank mouthpieces (Wick, etc.) will fit into my Connsteallation, however.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

2. Mouthpiece tests for the Besson 2056 4V Compensating Baritone

Regarding mouthpiece tapers:

I don't claim to be an expert on these matters, but here are a few things I have discovered over the years. What we are calling a Remington taper is actually called a Brown & Sharpe taper by machinists. If I understand the difference between a Brown & Sharpe taper compared to a Morse taper correctly, the Morse design tapers more rapidly than the Brown & Sharpe.

I have an early model King 2280 euphonium. Like many of the early Conn 88H trombones, it uses a receiver that takes the Remington bass shank with the Brown and Sharpe taper. A mouthpiece with a Morse taper is swallowed up in the receiver all the way to the top of the shank, and sometimes there will be a very slight wobble as well. Since most mouthpieces use the Morse taper, I have resorted to using a thin wrap of teflon plumbers tape around the shanks of mouthpieces with a Morse taper. The teflon tape is very thin, clings to the metal shank nicely, is soft enough to conform to any irregularities in the receiver, and will slide right off if you want to remove it. I keep a roll of it in my case.

Conversely I would think if you tried to insert a Remington shank into a receiver with a Morse taper, the mouthpiece would not insert as deeply as it should. You would probably have a good bit of extra shank sticking out.

You can read about machine tapers at the following link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper

3. Mouthpiece tests for the Besson 2056 4V Compensating Baritone

I'd be interested to see what you thought of an Alliance Mead B5. I play a Sovereign BE956. I started with a SM6 on a Yamaha 4 valve. It was like walking on glass. I broke everything I touched. I moved to wick 5 next with BE956 and felt a lot more comfortable, but still couldn't get response soft. I've tried the Ultra and found that it was dark, took a lot of air and was a bit restrictive. I didn't feel that I could match colors all that well. For me the baritone is kind like the camelion of the band. One passage your augmenting, or punctuating the euph sound. A second later your the foundation of the solo cornets. Next your suppose to blend in and support the horn color. I still experiment with a 61/2 trying to get that tenor sound in my ear, but I'm in my 2nd year using the Alliance, it really helped my intonation. I've found that for general playing 1st or 2nd baritone the Alliance gives the widenst variety of colors so far. Great lows, resonably focused highs. It can be big, brash, percussive, bright, or dark, it shimmers easy, gives lots of different vibrato warmths and yet it can be as quiet, distant or unnoticeable as you need. I wonder if it might give you the variety and the ease of creating a bright sound that you are looking for?

4. Mouthpiece tests for the Besson 2056 4V Compensating Baritone

Mike...I have standardized on the Alliance B6 for my York 3056 (same as your BE956). I also use it on my Conn Connstellation American baritone. Dark when needed, and one can change color w/o ending up being too brassy. Nice baritone MPC. Since I play the Alliance E3 on my Sterling euph, the rim shape is nearly the same, even though their sizes are very duifferent. The Alliance also works well on my new (old) SA Triumphonic baritone.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Mouthpiece tests for the Besson 2056 4V Compensating Baritone

Originally posted by: warumtobendieheiden
    One thing that nobody ever seems to comment on, however, whenever the long-shanked Schilkes are discussed, is that the shank has a slightly different TAPER than the dominant Bach-MP taper. I have one of these older 51D's, and I was always bugged about its tendency to rock back and forth in the receiver rather than seat itself firmly. I always thought that the old Schilke shanks were called the "Remington shank" (after the famed teacher) and that certain trombone brands were made with compatible receivers. I thought this to be true of the older Conn 88H models, but I swear I can't remember who I heard that from.

Can anybody shed light on the matter? (Not that the future of brasswind playing hinges on it or anything like that ... inquiring minds simply want to know.)
    My long shanks (51D, 52, and 52E2) all seat firmly into the receivers on my Sterling, JinBao 1150, and Yamaha YBL620 (bass trombone). No rocking, wobbling, or spinning.

Long shanks were available in both tapers. It was up to the customer to know which one his/her horn took. Wouldn't surprise me if Conn dealers stocked the Remington shank instead of the Bach, though. Also wouldn't surprise me if non-trombone playing store owners only stocked one or the other.

Mouthpiece tests for the Besson 2056 4V Compensating Baritone

If you take a look at my website you'll see that I can put together virtually anything - I'm sure I can come up with a mouthpiece that will do what you need. However, I have only a little direct experience with baritones like yours. I have a pretty good idea what to suggest, but I may need more info so I suggest you email or call me. My number is at the bottom of the Prices page.

http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com/tenortrb.html

http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com/prices.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12