Thread: I'm trying euphonium again

I'm trying euphonium again

Well, after learning a bit of euphonium a while back with my wife, I gave up when she quit, we sold our horns, and haven't played since. I still play bass clarinet(been playing for 2 years so far). I decided to get a secondary instrument for german umpah bands and such, and picked up a king 2280 at a significant discount. Now, my goals are VERY modest for this instrument. I'd like to finish the "essential elements book 1" within at least 1 year, 2 years tops. I plan to practice no more than 30 mins a day, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna practice both instruments at the same time(ie bass clarinet first, then euph, or whatnot). I' like to be able to play in group settings within 3 months, with the caveot that the director of the small community band does all the arrranging(she does, its a very mixed group) and IF she can put in "baby" parts for me that can still contribute to the overall sound. If not, I will just ask german umpah bands if I can play alongside the tuba. And by baby parts, I mean like playing whole notes or something. I plan to learn bass clef and am aiming for small victories. Thoughts?

It should not be a great act to play easier parts on Euphonium after a short time. My son was able to play songs in a one octave range after one or two weeks (in age of 7). My daughter plays also bass clarinet (and cello, clarinet, saxophon) and is able to play so-called "baby parts" without serious practising. Bass clef is a good thing, but all euph parts are also available in treble clef. You can play even your bass clarinet pieces with the Euphonium because the transposing is exactly the same (one octave and a second). Note that written c's and g's are open.

My start in our local band after a few months learning Euphonium together with my son was the following: I sat down, got the sheet music of 2nd Suite by Holst and had to play (including the solos). (Remark: It was IMO not the right way for building a good embouchure to start with such a piece. The higher range has to be improved step-by-step.)

Perhaps it would be possible for you to get the "usual" parts and practising them at home. Although, practising long notes is also very, very good

Jochen

Boosey&Hawkes Imperial with SM4(U-X),
    YEP-321 with DW 4AY ...
    ... and my cello

I say that after you get your fundamentals down that you jump in with both feet. I started late and had 3 lessons before I was thrown in the mix. Those were also the only 3 lessons that I had until college, and I still turned out alright except for a few bad habits. Think of it like immersion learning. Suzuki tots learn that way. That's how foreign languages are taught in major colleges. You may be surprised at how fast you pick it up.

After about a 17 year layoff from music, I jumped back in with both feet into a community band. It was very challenging at first but I had a bit of old experience to rely on.

My point is this, do something, anything, along with other musicians. Practice a lot as well and you might be amazed with what you can accomplish.