Thread: 4th Valve on a Yamaha 321

4th Valve on a Yamaha 321

I'm a tuba player that plays the euphonium occasionally. I have a Yamaha YEP-321 that I really like with one exception. The 4th valve is lower than the other 3 valves. I find that I either have to play that valve with my little finger extended horizontally, or I have to twist my hand to get to it. Neither seems optimal to me especially when compared to the natural hand position on my tuba. So, my question is: Is this bad ergonomics on Yamaha's part, do I happen to have a short little finger, or should I just stop whining and practice more?

I recently tried a 3+1 horn, but that just felt wierd after many years of playing my current configuration. I would like to keep consistent with my tuba (Miraphone 191). Any suggestions?

Thanks,

davek

I'm guessing they had some input that said it was more comfortable that way. I knew one fellow who glued a piece of cork to the valve button. It was cut to the right diameter and height for his comfort. And because it was cork, it didn't add weight that would have slowed down the valve action. Go for it.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you for the response, I will try that.

dave

4. 4th Valve on a Yamaha 321

I prefer it that way... I played a King once and really didn't care for the equal height of the 4th valve. Do you have bigger hands, because the 321 was kind of built for students?

5. 4th Valve on a Yamaha 321

KING 2280 has a level 4th valve height.

Perhaps some of the 321 clones (Weril (Holton), Eastman, Willson etc...) might have level height.

6. 4th Valve on a Yamaha 321

Check this guy out! Maybe you should use your thumb on it? Haha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwSRIPBMfJY

7. 4th Valve on a Yamaha 321

It works for him. I used my left pointer finger back in the day!

Old Post, I know, but just wrap your left arm over the horn and use your left index finger, the rest of your left hand can stabilize the horn

Lee