Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 642 Neo

I've tried the neo and would really like to buy one.
    But i saw a bargain on a Yamaha 642 Maestro, which is greater for my wallet.
    Do you think the differences between the Maestro and the Neo are subtantial, or minor?
    Someone has tried both?
    The Maestro is 15% off comparing to the Neo. It seems that some sellers want to liquidate their stock.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Euphman; 05-06-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Manu
    Yamaha 642 Neo
    Denis Wick SM4X

They are both excellent instruments, but somewhat different. I would play test both if possible.

Thanks John.
    When i tried the Neo, i found the sound to be really nice. It's mostly the sound and the full and clear low range that i loved.
    I wondered if the maestro already have a similar sound and huge low range as well.
    I guess it can't but maybe there's not so much difference. Also the neo has a dark sound i loved. I know the maestro had a darker tone than the original 642, but is it far from the neo ?
    The neo seems to be much appreciated. For now, there's no second hand and / or demo model to buy...
    I couldn't try the maestro, unfortunately...
    Manu
    Yamaha 642 Neo
    Denis Wick SM4X

Quote Originally Posted by Euphman View Post
    Thanks John.
    When i tried the Neo, i found the sound to be really nice. It's mostly the sound and the full and clear low range that i loved.
    I wondered if the maestro already have a similar sound and huge low range as well.
    I guess it can't but maybe there's not so much difference. Also the neo has a dark sound i loved. I know the maestro had a darker tone than the original 642, but is it far from the neo ?
    The neo seems to be much appreciated. For now, there's no second hand and / or demo model to buy...
    I couldn't try the maestro, unfortunately...
    Two points.

1) A quality euphonium is a serious investment and in my opinion you should not compromise and should be willing to pay a bit more if needed to get the best horn that still fits in your budget. I can't comment on the Neo vs the Maestro as I haven't played either.

2) Do not, repeat do not buy any horn at this price range before you try it in person. If you cannot go to where it is at minimum make sure there is a no cost return policy.

You're obviously right.
    The neo is the one i tried and i chose, and i don't want to take the risk to buy a maestro if it does not have the sound i'm looking for.
    Do you think i shouldn't buy a neo without trying it too ?
    I hope Yamaha has a constant quality so i can buy any neo.
    Bargains are in England (about 10% off), and as i am in France, a no cost return policy would certainly not be possible.
    Manu
    Yamaha 642 Neo
    Denis Wick SM4X

I can't comment on Yamaha quality but in my experience with many brands some horns are better than others. I bought my Willson 2900S sight unseen 32 years ago and was fortunate to get a horn with good intonation (typical Willson quirks) and great response. At that time these horns were not commonly available. Your best bet is to talk to the Yamaha dealer and ask about their return policy. This is a serious investment and you should be as satisfied as possible.

Finally, i've just received my Yamaha 642 Neo, a demo laquer one at a good price.
    It is flawless, as brand new, i'm so happy!
    It sounds very good and has a very good intonation, except maybe the 1st valve concert C which is a little flat, as expected.
    It is a big change as i was playing a 3 valves Besson till now, and it seems i need to blow a bit differently in the neo.
    But it has the sound i was looking for : Big, dark, and full. I understand why most neo users are greatly satisfied.
    Manu
    Yamaha 642 Neo
    Denis Wick SM4X

Congratulations Manu! Sounds great.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

9. Enjoy your new horn! Each of us has our individual search for the holy grail. You made a cool choice!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

I'm a big fan of the Neo, even though I am not playing one at the moment. Yamaha and the folks in the UK who helped develop it got so much right in that instrument!

Lately, I am wondering why we ever got so fond of silver plated euphoniums. Lacquer just keeps on looking good, with no measurable difference in sound. So I think getting a Neo in lacquer should stand you well.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast