Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Euphman
    • Jan 2013

I've tried the neo and would really like to buy one.
    But i saw a bargain on a Yamaha 642 Maestro, which is greater for my wallet.
    Do you think the differences between the Maestro and the Neo are subtantial, or minor?
    Someone has tried both?
    The Maestro is 15% off comparing to the Neo. It seems that some sellers want to liquidate their stock.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Euphman; 05-06-2013, 12:10 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Manu
    Yamaha 642 Neo
    Denis Wick SM4X

Comment

• JTJ
      • Nov 2005

They are both excellent instruments, but somewhat different. I would play test both if possible.

Comment

• Euphman
        • Jan 2013

Thanks John.
        When i tried the Neo, i found the sound to be really nice. It's mostly the sound and the full and clear low range that i loved.
        I wondered if the maestro already have a similar sound and huge low range as well.
        I guess it can't but maybe there's not so much difference. Also the neo has a dark sound i loved. I know the maestro had a darker tone than the original 642, but is it far from the neo ?
        The neo seems to be much appreciated. For now, there's no second hand and / or demo model to buy...
        I couldn't try the maestro, unfortunately...
        Manu
        Yamaha 642 Neo
        Denis Wick SM4X

Comment

• MichaelSchott
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Euphman View Post
          Thanks John.
          When i tried the Neo, i found the sound to be really nice. It's mostly the sound and the full and clear low range that i loved.
          I wondered if the maestro already have a similar sound and huge low range as well.
          I guess it can't but maybe there's not so much difference. Also the neo has a dark sound i loved. I know the maestro had a darker tone than the original 642, but is it far from the neo ?
          The neo seems to be much appreciated. For now, there's no second hand and / or demo model to buy...
          I couldn't try the maestro, unfortunately...
          Two points.

1) A quality euphonium is a serious investment and in my opinion you should not compromise and should be willing to pay a bit more if needed to get the best horn that still fits in your budget. I can't comment on the Neo vs the Maestro as I haven't played either.

2) Do not, repeat do not buy any horn at this price range before you try it in person. If you cannot go to where it is at minimum make sure there is a no cost return policy.

Comment

• Euphman
            • Jan 2013

You're obviously right.
            The neo is the one i tried and i chose, and i don't want to take the risk to buy a maestro if it does not have the sound i'm looking for.
            Do you think i shouldn't buy a neo without trying it too ?
            I hope Yamaha has a constant quality so i can buy any neo.
            Bargains are in England (about 10% off), and as i am in France, a no cost return policy would certainly not be possible.
            Manu
            Yamaha 642 Neo
            Denis Wick SM4X

Comment

• MichaelSchott
              • Mar 2012

I can't comment on Yamaha quality but in my experience with many brands some horns are better than others. I bought my Willson 2900S sight unseen 32 years ago and was fortunate to get a horn with good intonation (typical Willson quirks) and great response. At that time these horns were not commonly available. Your best bet is to talk to the Yamaha dealer and ask about their return policy. This is a serious investment and you should be as satisfied as possible.

Comment

• Euphman
                • Jan 2013

Finally, i've just received my Yamaha 642 Neo, a demo laquer one at a good price.
                It is flawless, as brand new, i'm so happy!
                It sounds very good and has a very good intonation, except maybe the 1st valve concert C which is a little flat, as expected.
                It is a big change as i was playing a 3 valves Besson till now, and it seems i need to blow a bit differently in the neo.
                But it has the sound i was looking for : Big, dark, and full. I understand why most neo users are greatly satisfied.
                Manu
                Yamaha 642 Neo
                Denis Wick SM4X

Comment

• RickF
                  • Jan 2006

Congratulations Manu! Sounds great.
                  Rick Floyd
                  Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                  Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                  The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                  Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)
                  ​

Comment

• tampaworth
                    • Nov 2010

Enjoy your new horn! Each of us has our individual search for the holy grail. You made a cool choice!
                    Bob Tampa FL USA
                    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
                    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• JTJ
                      • Nov 2005

I'm a big fan of the Neo, even though I am not playing one at the moment. Yamaha and the folks in the UK who helped develop it got so much right in that instrument!

Lately, I am wondering why we ever got so fond of silver plated euphoniums. Lacquer just keeps on looking good, with no measurable difference in sound. So I think getting a Neo in lacquer should stand you well.

Comment

• Euphman
                        • Jan 2013

Thank you all, first rehearsal tonight, hope i will get the best from my new horn!

SO, first rehearsal done.
                        What a sound ! It's even bigger than expected, especially the low range. Usually, lower parts are hard to play to me, and the sound is smaller comparing to my playing in medium and high range. With the neo, my low range is huge and medium and high range remains big.
                        I was a bit confused when starting as i am not used to the horn, but after a few notes i felt better and it seems that the neo fits me very well. It blends well with my wind band and will certainly be great for solo parts with its power.
                        Last edited by Euphman; 06-07-2013, 02:59 AM. Reason: Update
                        Manu
                        Yamaha 642 Neo
                        Denis Wick SM4X

Comment

• Euphman
                          • Jan 2013

I noticed, as John did, that high C is really flat with 1st valve, although the rest of the horn's range is really good.
                          I'm using 1+3 as a work around, even if this combination is a bit high in pitch, but the intonation is better though.
                          I hope it will get better in time. This is the only issue i found with this horn.
                          Manu
                          Yamaha 642 Neo
                          Denis Wick SM4X

Comment

• davewerden
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2005

On most euphoniums, the usable options for high concert C are:

Try all of them - they don't cost you a dime!
                            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                            YouTube: dwerden
                            Facebook: davewerden
                            Twitter: davewerden
                            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Euphman
                              • Jan 2013

Sorry Dave, i probably misused the word "high" C, i meant "the C of the fourth line on the staff", treble clef.

I tried :

1 : very flat
                              13 : a bit high
                              4 : as flat as 1

13 is the best pitch to me but only suitable for slow playing, and i need some time to adapt.
                              Manu
                              Yamaha 642 Neo
                              Denis Wick SM4X

Comment

• davewerden
                                Administrator
                                • Nov 2005

Ah, I get it now. The 3 fingerings you list are the only common ones for 4th-line C. There are others, but they'd be a bit wonky.

You MAY find you can get comfortable with 1st valve as you get yourself broken in to the horn. If not, 13 is OK for sustained notes. For most faster passages you can probably get by with 1st valve.

Is the 1st slide pushed in? Some folks pull it out to make 12 fingers more comfortable, but you can often use 3 instead of 12 and then get by with having the 1st slide pushed in more. Of course, if you have a sharp upper Eb, that complicates the 1st valve tuning options.
                                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                                Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                                Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                                Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                                YouTube: dwerden
                                Facebook: davewerden
                                Twitter: davewerden
                                Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
                                X