Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 642 Neo

1. I'll chime in here as well. This has happened to me the last two rehearsals my band has had for its THIRD of July concert: my horn sounds like it is being run through a fuzz box (at high volume). Since I am using a Conn 30I, my problem cannot be traced to "too much horn"; I think it is due to worn out chops, since the buzz only presents at the very end of the program when my lips are pretty much played out. As Dave suggests, it's a conditioning thing as much as anything else.
    Harry Nuttall

Bach Stradivarius New York model 8II tenor trombone #28xx
    Besson New Standard #438xxx
    Besson "Prototype" euphonium #510xx
    Conn 30I Wonderphone double-belled euphonium #327xxx
    Hawkes & Son Excelsior Sonorous #534xx
    Holton Revelation euphonium #753xx
    Holton Revelation euphonium #797xx

December and Summer: Rochester, NY Spring and Fall: Marathon, FL

642 Leadpipe

Hi folks!
    FWIW, I'll take credit for putting the lead pipe higher on the bell on the original 642, carried over to the Neo 642.
    When Yamaha decided they were going to make some improvements on the 641, they came to my house 4 times with engineers and translators.
    When they left the fifth time, gave me the 5th version, serial number 00005 - I was told that serial numbers 000001, 000002, 000003 and 000004 were destroyed in the design process.
    I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the 842 was designed by somebody a bit shorter than my 6'3" frame.

Nice to see you post again Glenn.

That was a great improvement to move the lead-pipe higher on the 642. I played on a 641 for about 14 years and had to use a fairly thick pillow to elevate the mpc to the proper height. My horn of choice now is a Miraphone 5050 where the lead-pipe is even a bit higher. I think Shoichiro Hokazono from Japan helped with the design of the 842 (don't know his height).

Here's an image of the 642 (left) next to a 641. You can see the height difference compared to grip:

Pics of Neo, 642 and 842 showing lead pipe height:

Last edited by RickF; 10-14-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

4. Hi
    I m italian and I play the euph since 20 years ago. First yamaha yep321, than Yamaha yep642 (last 10 years). First question: the yep642 is the same of yep642 MAESTRO? I dont know if my 642 is a normal 642 or a 642MAESTRO. In the second valve of my horn it is only impressed YEP642.
    Now I 'd like to buy another euph but the dealers here have not in their store any compensating euph like Sovereign, prestige yep642 or others, which I m interested in.
    So the only choice for me is to request some trial horns, even if they are too expensive because of fhe shipping cost. I read somewhere of the dark but even smooth sound of YEP642 NEO but I wanted to know more about the difference between 642 neo vs the old 642, or between 642neo vs Sovereign 967. Is the sound of the 642Neo dark as the Sovereign or not? And the good intonation of the old 642 is the same of 642neo? Is the 642neo easy to play as the old 642 or it is more loud? And the high range is bright like the old 642? Is there anyone who has played both the 642 / 642neo and can tell me some informations. Many than and excuse my bad English. (Ps.Obviously before I'll buy a new horn I will try it for a test, but first I need those few informations)

Hi 'eufcharles',

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I've not ever tried the 642-II Neo model to know any differences you ask about. Pretty sure the 642 is also known as the Maestro.

You might find this discussion thread of interest:
    B&H Sovereign and Yamaha Maestro euphoniums???

Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

6. Quote Originally Posted by eufcharles View Post
    Hi
    I m italian and I play the euph since 20 years ago. First yamaha yep321, than Yamaha yep642 (last 10 years). First question: the yep642 is the same of yep642 MAESTRO? I dont know if my 642 is a normal 642 or a 642MAESTRO. In the second valve of my horn it is only impressed YEP642.
    Now I 'd like to buy another euph but the dealers here have not in their store any compensating euph like Sovereign, prestige yep642 or others, which I m interested in.
    So the only choice for me is to request some trial horns, even if they are too expensive because of fhe shipping cost. I read somewhere of the dark but even smooth sound of YEP642 NEO but I wanted to know more about the difference between 642 neo vs the old 642, or between 642neo vs Sovereign 967. Is the sound of the 642Neo dark as the Sovereign or not? And the good intonation of the old 642 is the same of 642neo? Is the 642neo easy to play as the old 642 or it is more loud? And the high range is bright like the old 642? Is there anyone who has played both the 642 / 642neo and can tell me some informations. Many than and excuse my bad English. (Ps.Obviously before I'll buy a new horn I will try it for a test, but first I need those few informations)
    The YEP 642 is called the Maestro, and the YEP 642II is the Neo. The Neo has "Neo" engraved on the bell and the Maestro has "YAMAHA"
    Yamaha Neo 642TSII
    Denis Wick SM4 Ultra X

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jasonium View Post
    The YEP 642 is called the Maestro, and the YEP 642II is the Neo. The Neo has "Neo" engraved on the bell and the Maestro has "YAMAHA"
    Thank you for info but I would know something about tone, if you can explain to me.
    If you have got a Besson and a yep642neo , do you think that tone of besson is still darker than yamaha? Does the tone of yamaha neo nearest the Besson than the old 642? Have you tested it and can say to me about it? Many thanks

8. I have not spent significant time on the original 642 but from reading other reviews, the Neo is a significant upgrade. In my opinion, the Yamaha custom 842 plays and sounds very similar to my Besson Prestige 2051 in terms of resistance, resonance and tone than the Neo. The sound is more ethereal, round and dark on the Besson compared to my Neo. The Neo advantages are that it’s more freeblowing, focused and responsive. I’ve been thinking about the differences a lot lately and I’ve come to the conclusion that my tone would be better on the Besson if I were a more serious player. The Besson requires much more stamina to maintain a great tone.
    Yamaha Neo 642TSII
    Denis Wick SM4 Ultra X

Quote Originally Posted by eufcharles View Post
    Thank you for info but I would know something about tone, if you can explain to me.
    If you have got a Besson and a yep642neo , do you think that tone of besson is still darker than yamaha? Does the tone of yamaha neo nearest the Besson than the old 642? Have you tested it and can say to me about it? Many thanks
    Yes, the Neo is closer to a Besson sound than the older 642.

Algirdas Matonizz made a comparison video between the 842 Custom and the 642 II Neo (both models WITH main tuning slide trigger).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMgmS8yNxKI&t=0s

I have to say I was blown away by the sound of the Neo, I did NOT expect this... so smooth, warm, velvety... simply gorgeous. Amazing sound. What I also liked about his sound discussion was that he includes the frequency charts, which are VERY interesting in how certain frequencies influence the sound quality.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast