Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Yamaha 642 Neo

This whole business about what horns are "professional" is a digression.
    Over my entire career as a performer, I have made 85% of my euph-playing
    income playing a Yamaha 321. (Avatar pic was taken at an outdoor quintet gig. I play the horn parts and do most of the arrangements)
    Nobody outside the "euphonium bubble" or "academic bubble" knows or cares what horn someone plays.
    They just want to hear the tune.
    I've been playing for pay for almost 40 years. NOT ONE person in a regular audience
    (outside the "euphonium bubble" or "academic bubble") has asked me what type of horn I played.
    Most people had no idea what a euphonium is, let alone cared that I wasn't playing a Willson.

Having said that, I never once even contemplated leaving my very nice day job! ;-) ;-)
    Yamaha 642-II Neo, Wedge 103A/Wick 4AL
    Yamaha 321, Yamaha 621 Baritone
    Conn 50H trombone
    Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

2. Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    I am sorry for derailing the thread into the whole discussion about what constitutes an "Intermediate" horn and a "professional" horn. Just brought it out because it was a discussion I had just some time ago and I was rather confused/fascinating to hear someone say that many of the horns are considered "intermediate" to that person. Aside from price, he said he can perceive a significant difference in workmanship and the sound that comes out of the horns to classify them as such (e.g. between Neo and Customs/Adams/Geneva OldRoy/Miraphone. Anyway, apologies!

Returning to the topic at hand, I've noticed people have been bringing up the leadpipe placement on the Customs, is it possible (or even easy), for any technicians to re-adjust the leadpipe if, say, we bring it to a workshop?
    It all depends on location. In some areas, where they are BIG on band instruments and big on spending on them, they consider anything not top of the line to be "intermediate". So trombone players with "just" a Bach 42BO? nope you gotta have an Edwards or Shires or Rath. In high school. So when they see that there is a Euphonium that is appreciably more expensive, well that means it's gotta be better, and that the other one must be "intermediate".

These are people unfamiliar with things such as the law of diminishing returns, and also Custom/Artisan vs professional. As many say, "you make it professional".

Regarding the leadpipe, I guess it would depend on how it is attached. Most of the horns I see now have "floating" leadpipes, while my Sterling has a leadpipe that is soldered the whole length to the bell almost. Floating would definitely be easier to move, BUT would definitely entail bending the pipe a bit. Also there's that whole thing with silver plating and solder work, which can be annoying.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS - Hammond 11L , Bach 42T - Laskey 59MD, Kanstul 1588CR - Hammond 11ML, Yamaha YBL-612 RII - Faxx 1 1/2G

Superted,
    Please see the discussion here about the tuning slide...just as it is a compromise designed to fit a generic player, so is the mouthpiece a compromise to fit a generic player. I didn't like the 51L when I bought my Neo so I swapped the dealer for a Wick 4. Now I use the Wick 4 equivalent of the Wedge and like it a lot.
    I wouldn't necessarily call the SM3 a bucket--many players use 3s or equivalent from orher manufacturers. I used a 3 and a 3.5 for quite a while with my Miraphone 5050.
    Conn 50H trombone
    Blue P-bone

Does anyone know if the Neo has undergone any developments/refinements since its issue? If so, what were they?
    ALSO: I can't find any info on Yamaha serial numbers--do they still have that goofy policy of not releasing serial number info?
    Last edited by Snorlax; 08-07-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    Conn 50H trombone
    Blue P-bone

5. Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Does anyone know if the Neo has undergone any developments/refinements since its issue? If so, what were they?
    ALSO: I can't find any info on Yamaha serial numbers--do they still have that goofy policy of not releasing serial number info?
    I feel your pain on the Sterling side of things. I've been trying to date my Sterling Virtuoso euphonium for years to no avail. Paul Riggett has told me a couple times he'd look it up but he's never followed through.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Sterling Virtuoso 1065HS and Adams E1 Custom w/ Parker 4G Houser)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY) and 10 piece ensemble (Getzen 1052FD w/ Bach 1G)

I just found out Steven Walsh is no longer a Yamaha Artist and he just put up his Neo for sale on Facebook. I wonder what he's switching to?
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. And always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euphonium)"

Euphonium: JP 274 MKII - 千歌
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL
    Gone but not forgotten: Yamaha EP100 - Euphy (May you serve the children well in the hands of your new owner. Thank you for the past 15 years)

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    I just found out Steven Walsh is no longer a Yamaha Artist and he just put up his Neo for sale on Facebook. I wonder what he's switching to?
    I'm trying to find out. It's possible he is just getting a newer model with a trigger, for example, but I'll update here if I learn more.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams E3, Denis Wick 4AL (classic)
    Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
    Twitter: davewerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    YouTube: dwerden
    Owner of TubaEuph.com, DWerden.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789