Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 642 Neo

Yamaha 642 Neo

John asked me to post this on his behalf. It is a recording on him playing his Neo on one of the Ralph Vaughan-Williams folk song setting. Here is his description of the recording session:

Is was recorded for listening and and learning purposes, so it is far from a performance ready reading. But I think people would like hearing it. This arrangement gives the player a choice of register in many places. i was experimenting with playing the low register in most cases. Sorry about the noise at the beginning and end; it was me turning the recorder on & off.

It was recorded with the Edirol R-09, internal mike. And i was using an SM3U on the Neo.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Yamaha 642 Neo

Since my last post on the Neo I have flipped back to the SM3U as the best mouthpiece for me on the horn. The instrument keeps changing in subtle ways as it breaks in and as it breaks in the player, as all instruments do. I am now getting the brightness and edge I need in certain musical passages, especially in the wind ensemble, where we have been rehearsing some of the old circus marches (with their extraordinarily fun euph parts) for a pops concert.

3. Yamaha 642 Neo

First post ever!Just received 3 642 Neo from my dealer in Oslo. They are all good but one of them fits me really well. I am replacing my old ( just dead R.I.P ) Wilson 2900 after almost 30 years in service. I find that the Neo have some of the same qualities as the Wilson. Free sound with a very good core in it. The intonation is slightly different though. Everything is very much in tune but 1st finger C natural is flat. Just have to work it out. The only thing I can put my finger on is that all 3 instruments iare flat in pitch. I have to play with the main slide almost all the way in. Makes me a bit nervous but I think I just will cut it a bit.All my colleagues in the Army staff band in Oslo like the sound and the way it blends with other sections of the band.

Yamaha 642 Neo

Hi Juffinator -- My Neo needs less slide pull than most, although it has needed a little more as I break in the instrument. You might wait a few months before having it cut.

I noticed the same things: how well the instrument blends, especially with other brasss, and how well other musicians like the sound.

Hi
    Just want to know what to think about valves on the 642 neo ? According to most people, besson (after 2007) has the best valves, and as i could try a 842 custom, i found the valves a bit soft (but with other springs it should be better i guess).
    John (and other owners of neo), are you still satisfied with your horn ?

Dave, could you please check why the recording session of John mentionned on top of this page is not visible ?
    I'd really appreciate to hear the sound of the neo, it's really hard to hear this horn (and others...) !

Many thanks.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Manu
    Yamaha 642 Neo
    Denis Wick SM4X

Quote Originally Posted by Euphman View Post
    Dave, could you please check why the recording session of John mentionned on top of this page is not visible?
    I don't know why, but it probably did not import when I moved the entire forum from the old platform to the new. If John is willing, he may be able to post it himself on this software, or I can do it for him if he gives me the file again (or a link to it).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I'll have to look and see where that recording is. But I do have an entire recital recorded when I was playing the Neo. I'm not very accomplished at digital sound editing, but will try to extract 20-30 seconds from the performance.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Neo -- it is a great euphonium -- but I have moved on to an Adams. Valves and valve action were always first class on the Neo.

Thank you both for your answers.
    I'm currently gathering informations about euphoniums as i'd like to buy a 4 valves one.
    The neo seems to be one of the best options for me, but i'm still interested in the sovereign and the Willson 2950 or 2960.
    Adams would be great but i'd like to find a demo euphonium or a second hand to spend less money, and Adams is a rare trend.
    John, if you could post a sound file it would be great.
    Also if anyone can post a youtube link for a video featuring a neo, i'd be thankfull.
    Manu
    Yamaha 642 Neo
    Denis Wick SM4X

Quote Originally Posted by Euphman View Post
    Also if anyone can post a youtube link for a video featuring a neo, i'd be thankfull.
    I love hearing things on YouTube, but be careful in deciding about a horn's tone based on YouTube recordings. I can make my own horn sound pretty good or pretty bad, depending on where the microphone is and how I record it. Many camcorders and cell phones record with automatic level control, so the machine will boost the volume during soft notes and cut it back during loud notes. And a mic that is too close can make the horn sound small; a mic in the back of the hall can make the horn sound very undefined. A cheap microphone will make everything sound bad. Etc.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Thanks for your advice Dave, that makes sense.
    Of course, i'm not going to buy a new horn because of a nice video on youtube.
    That said, i think it can help to know if a horn has a rather good intonation, or just to see if there are many players that love to play this horn.
    Actually, i'm willing to try some horns in a shop, and wonder if it is a good idea to test the neo if it is available ; and it seems that it does worth a try.
    Manu
    Yamaha 642 Neo
    Denis Wick SM4X

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast