Thread: Besson?

1. Besson?

Hello,

I'm going off to college next semester and I need to buy a euphonium. I'm looking for something that will last me forever.. so price isnt a HUGE factor. But I found a Besson BE2051 on WWBW for 6k. I've been playing on a Yamaha for about 4 years.. and just been playing euph for about 6 years. it's a professional horn but i'm looking for something better. Is Besson a good company? Or what are some companies?

A while ago i saw a york I wanted terribly.. but now it looks like they arent around anymore? Is that correct?

Here is the besson:

http://www.wwbw.com/Besson-BE2051-Pr...-i1440008.wwbw

Thanks!

-James

2. Besson?

James....there are many reviews of Besson horns (the 2051 in particular) here on Dave Werden's site. Go back to as early as 2007 to catch up on the feedback. The Besson horns are great. Since late 2006, they have been built in Germany instead of England and the quality is quite good. I own one of the early production 2051 horns, completed in January of 2007. It is definitely one of the top horns you can purchase.

But at the $6000-$7000 pricve point there are other fine honrs as well including Sterling, Mirraphone, Meinl-Weston, Yamaha, Willson, and others. I happen to own and play a Sterling Virtuoso as well as the BEsson. Read up on the many detailed reviews and feedback sessions here and you will be able to educate yourself. However, if you decide you want a Besson, it is a fine choice.

Now...do you know where you will be going to college? Have you contacted your new euphonium teacher at that school? You should do this BEFORE you purchase an instrument. Often, your teacher will have experience and feedback for you on what choices may be the best. I strongly urge you to contact the folks at your college (assuming you will study euphonium there) before you make a purchase decision.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

3. Besson?

I play on a Besson 2052 as you can see by my signature (if you are not fimiliar with differance mine has a 12" bell on it.)

I LOVE THIS HORN, I compared to all the brands Doug listed, and it was by far my favorite.

Now, most people that I talk to, really like Wilson's, but when I went up to Southbend to try it, It did not feel right.

THIS JUST GOES TO SHOW PLAY EVERY HORN YOU CAN!

Luke