Thread: Long Term Storage

Long Term Storage

There was a thread on this a while back but it assumed you would have access to the horn and could work the valves and slides occaisionally, such is not the case for me. Its a clunker I use for marching but nevertheless why have problems if you can avoid it. I was thinking of removing all slides and valves and bagging them with some light oil, that wont evaporate and doing the same with the casings. What do you think?

Long Term Storage

Hi Mike,

I think I found the thread you were referring to. It pretty much says what you were planning on doing.

Horn Storage
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Long Term Storage

Clean, grease slides and reinstall 1cm out, Oil Valves (don't use anything fancy, cheap valve oil is great because if it evaporates it doesn't leave behind synthetic materials), Grease threads on valves and put caps on all the way but not locked in tight. Put it in the case
    Do not store bell down, bell up is good of on the side of the branch, but on its' back or bell down can get things flowing into the valves.
    You could toss in Silica gel packs if you want.