Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schiller Elite?

1. Schiller Elite?

Anybody have any experience or reviews?

Schiller Elite?

Here's a link to that discussion thread where Schiller is talked about:

Cheap euphs

There are 7 pages to this discussion thread so be sure to see them all.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Schiller Elite?

At some point, someone should be able to provide info on the long term durability of the horn.

I have looked through these threads and I havent found any complaints on the Schiller yet.

Anyone with an honest and unbiased opinion yet?

4. Schiller Elite?

I'm not sure how unbiased(+ or -) one could be when one owns the instrument. I'll give it my best shot though. I have owned my Schiller comp for just under 2 years. I can 'honestly' say that I have had no problems with it. I do oil and wipe it down after every play session, clean it every 3 months or so, kinda compulsive about all of that. Its intonation is as good as the Yamaha 321s in my tuba sextet, holds its own with the Besson 2051 that's also in the group. Sure, I would love to have a Sterling, Miraphone 5050 or even that Besson 2051 but for my needs and my experience(or lack of) the Schiller will give me plenty of 'growing' room. At this moment I could not be happier with this investment.

Schiller Elite?

Thanks, that is great to hear....sounds like you are very happy with your Schiller

Lee

Originally posted by: yadent I'm not sure how unbiased(+ or -) one could be when one owns the instrument. I'll give it my best shot though. I have owned my Schiller comp for just under 2 years. I can 'honestly' say that I have had no problems with it. I do oil and wipe it down after every play session, clean it every 3 months or so, kinda compulsive about all of that. Its intonation is as good as the Yamaha 321s in my tuba sextet, holds its own with the Besson 2051 that's also in the group. Sure, I would love to have a Sterling, Miraphone 5050 or even that Besson 2051 but for my needs and my experience(or lack of) the Schiller will give me plenty of 'growing' room. At this moment I could not be happier with this investment.

6. Schiller Elite?

Hi everyone,

Just FYI (That's "For Y'alls Information") here in the south, I just spoke with Jeff at Jim Laab's Music, and he informed me that the Schiller Elite euphonium IS available in SILVERPLATE. You just have to call or email to check availability. The price Jeff quoted me was the same as the nickel plated horn, $1085.00. Just wanted to let everyone know, since there has been quite a bit of discussion about this horn. I even think I remember seeing someone post that they were going to buy the horn in lacquer, and then have it stripped and silverplated. Being able to purchase the horn in silverplate would of course eliminate the need to go through all of the extra trouble and considerable expense of doing so.

Happy Playing,

Gary

Schiller Elite?

Sorry, but was someone really thinking of stripping and silver plating a Schiller? That seems like it would negate the benefits of getting the horn at a discount price in the first place? It would cost a pretty penny to have that kind of work done on a euphonium.

That is cool that they are making it in silver now. I wonder how the nickel model sounds? Does anyone have the nickel model?

8. Schiller Elite?

Originally posted by: JBrassLee

That is cool that they are making it in silver now. I wonder how the nickel model sounds? Does anyone have the nickel model?

I'm planning on ordering one this summer. I'll post my thoughts on it then, not that my opinion will be as educated as most other members', as I'm just getting comfortable with my playing again, and trying to get serious about it. Surely someone else will have one before I do, if not already.

Rosenberg, TX (soon to be Philadelphia, PA)

Schiller Elite?

I use a Schiller and when I first got it, I hated it. it was extremely stuffy and unresponsive, you'll have to put up with it for a couple weeks, however the before and after break in period is night and day difference. It plays significanly better, but I don't think it's as open feeling as a Yamaha 642 or any pro comp for that matter, but what people hear depends on the player and I can still sing on it.

IF you can try before you buy, that would be preferable, my 4th valve cover is loose, i'm holding it down with a rubber band until further notice, but at least it's not getting in the way of my valve or makin un wanted noise. Your valves on the other hand may make some noise, my 4th and 3rd tend to be noisy. Also, sometimes my 4th valve cap would rub on the stem and it would stick, glad i noticed and got it fixed, you'll just have to keep an eye on those things. All this being said, it takes Schiller like 4 months to get you the horn so i wouldn't bet on trying before buying, but it's possible.

I like my schiller, it's tuning is pretty good, i don't have to use a lot of random fingerings for certain notes. The tone is good, but a lot of that comes down to the player, how good will you make it sound?

Euphonium player with the Houston Brass Band
    Willson 2950
    Gidding & Webster EXL

Schiller Elite?

Originally posted by: garymartin72Just FYI (That's "For Y'alls Information") here in the south, I just spoke with Jeff at Jim Laab's Music, and he informed me that the Schiller Elite euphonium IS available in SILVERPLATE.* You just have to call or email to check availability.* The price Jeff quoted me was the same as the nickel plated horn, $1085.00.
    I was up at Jim Laabs yesterday (Stevens Point, WI) and can tell you that they do, indeed, sell the silver plated finish (which now is reflected on their website)...but at an additional $200 premium over the nickel.

Lacquer - $885
    Nickel - $1085
    Silver - $1285

I updated the "Cheap Euph" thread, but since this is the Schiller Elite thread, I'll add some additional info here.

They are selling one of these per day on average...so they are flying out of their store. There are a couple of broadway musical groups in NY that have standardized on these and have purchased a lot of them. They rarely have these in stock as they are out the door to fill backorders as soon as they get them in...most folks that order them have to wait a month or so. I was fortunate that they had gotten in a shipment of them that day. They had not even pulled any of them out of the box and set them up yet. I had to wait for them to do so before I could check them out.

I was extremely underwhelmed by their store. Not a good selection (at least not displayed). There is no compelling reason for me to go back to their physical location...unless I absolutely HAVE to have something that same day (4 hour drive round trip). Heck of a deal on 3+1 compensating euphoniums though!

In discussing the price with them, I believe they will, eventually, move the price of these up closer to the recommended retail price of around $3500. Sounds like the current price is a sacrifice to get a ton of them into the hands of euphonium players...saturate the market, build a good rep, and hopefully garner some brand loyalty as well.

That's all I got for now. I'll review the euphonium at some point, but as a former euphonium player who has been out of the game for 15-20 years, I am not in a good position to do so as of yet. I WILL say that I love this horn much more then my old Holton YEP-321-clone (which I no longer own).
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast