• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snorlax
    • Mar 2007

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Eric,
    That's a personal matter! I am a certain body type and a certain face type and have a certain sound that I wish to achieve in the musical contexts in which I operate.

You are probably different from me in all those key areas, so my decisions and preferences may not work for you.

They are both quality instruments with decent enough resale value. The King is a bit bigger and uses a large receiver.

The 321 is a bit smaller and uses a small receiver.

By your forum name, I assume you are in or near NOLA. There should be examples of both available for you to try. Check with local colleges or highschools.

People here on the forum are all dedicated players with a wide range of performing experience, but there is NO substitute for getting YOUR face on a couple examples of each horn.

If you prefer, as I think you mentioned earlier, to buy an American-made instrument, then that limits you to the King...at least I **THINK** it's still made here.
    Older Yamahas are Japanese, and some newer Yamaha instruments are made in China.

Find some & try 'em out!!

Jim W.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
      • Feb 2006

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

2280 is still USA. All Conn-Selmer Tubae and euphoniae are still USA except for Holton ehich is Brazillian.

Comment

• Dannyspandleuphonium
        • Feb 2011

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

I own a King 2280, And im quite positive that the Bach B1110 is not a large shank, so you will not get as much sound out of it as a King 2280...

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
          • Feb 2006

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Originally posted by: Dannyspandleuphonium

I own a King 2280, And im quite positive that the Bach B1110 is not a large shank, so you will not get as much sound out of it as a King 2280...
          To clarify, if it's a Yamaha 321 Bach B1110 it is small small, if it's a King Bach 1110 it is large.

Comment

• SaintsFan
            • Jan 2011

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Jim,

Sounds like good advice. You're powers of deduction rival those of Sherlock Holmes! I'm just up the road from New Orleans in Baton Rouge. I haven't had any luck here in town finding anyone who keeps euphoniums in stock for trial purposes. They all stock the usual variety of beginning band instruments and would be glad to special order a euphonium for me one as soon as I'm ready to buy. Imagine that!

I haven't tried anyone in the New Orleans area yet but that's probably where I'll have to go to find someone. I'll try to make some calls to see.

Sight unseen, I find myself leaning toward the King 2280. I'd really like to get up close to make that call.

Thanks again, Eric

Comment

• Snorlax
              • Mar 2007

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Call the Band Dept. at SELU and/or the tuba-euph instructor!!

PS--Ya have to get up pretty early in the afternoon to outsmart me!! ;-)
              Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
              Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
              bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
              Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
              Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
              Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
              www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• BachB1110
                • Aug 2009

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

The B1110 I play on (school horn) resembles a 2280 and not a 321.

Comment

• Euphinator
                  • Feb 2011

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

I agree with BachB1110. I played a 321 in the beginning of 8th grade and a 1110 towards the end of 8th grade. Then when I got into high school I started playing a 2280. The B1110 like the 2280 is large shank and has the trigger on the the 3rd valve slide which I love, because it is almost semi compensating. The 321 is a small shank and does not have the 3rd valve slide trigger. All are wonderful "in line" non compensating horns though. If I had to rank the three I would probably go with:

1. King 2280

2. Yamaha 321

3. Bach B1110

The King gives such a nice dark tone and as I said I love the 3rd valve slide trigger and the fact that it is a large shank. Yamaha makes wonderful euphoniums, and the 321 is no exception, gives a very bright "singing" sound. The Bach B110 is similar to the 2280, but it is discontinued and I didn't find the tone as nice as the 2280 or 321. But to reiterate, these are probably the 3 best "in line" non compensating euphoniums, with the best being 2280, then 321, then B1110, and to clear this up for everyone, the B1110 resembles a 2280, not a 321.

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
                    • Feb 2006

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Originally posted by: Euphinator
                    ...then B1110, and to clear this up for everyone, the B1110 resembles a 2280, not a 321.
                    No, the B1110 IS EITHER A 2280 OR 321 DEPENDING ON WHEN AND WHERE IT WAS MADE!

Sorry for the caps, but this comes up all the time with someone who's tried one of the horns and doesn't know about the other or someone who doesn't realize that they're playing a stencilled horn.

The one you tried was made in the USA as a stencilled 2280. They used to be made in Japan as stencilled 321's.

I don't know for sure if they're 100% identical to the 2280, some of the components may have been of different materials, perhaps a different leadpipe material. I don't have first hand experience with them and Conn Selmer never posted images of them

The 321 clone is identical except for the valve caps. I used to play on one in 2002.

Comment

• Euphinator
                      • Feb 2011

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Oh I see, I played a B1110 last year (2010) and it definetly had the same features as a 2280 (large shank 3rd vavle trigger slide), but maybe the older ones resembled 321's, I'm not sure.

Comment

• daruby
                        • Apr 2006

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Originally posted by: Euphinator

Oh I see, I played a B1110 last year (2010) and it definetly had the same features as a 2280 (large shank 3rd vavle trigger slide), but maybe the older ones resembled 321's, I'm not sure.
                        Euphinator...now you got it. Yes...for a while the Bach 1110 was really a Yamaha 321S. I have seen and played these...Later on, the Bach 1110 was a King 2280 (by the way so was a Conn 19I). I have seen and played these as welll. Just to confuse everything, Holton sold a 4 valve euphonium that was a Yamaha 321 stencil...but Holton's had the large shank leadpipe off of the Yamaha 621. Thus it was the only large shank Yamaha 321 ever sold here in the US! Holton also sold a stencil of the Yamaha 211 American-style bell front baritone.

Confused??? How about some Bundy baritones built in England by Besson!??? (That was a 1960's thing)

Doug
                        Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                        Concord Band
                        Winchendon Winds
                        Townsend Military Band

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
                          • Feb 2006

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Originally posted by: daruby
                          Holton sold a 4 valve euphonium that was a Yamaha 321 stencil...but Holton's had the large shank leadpipe off of the Yamaha 621. Thus it was the only large shank Yamaha 321 ever sold here in the US! Holton also sold a stencil of the
                          Confused??? How about some Bundy baritones built in England by Besson!??? (That was a 1960's thing)

Doug
                          I've had a couple of the old Yamaha Holtons come in before but I believe they had small shank leadpipes. I haven't seen the older 321 stencils though, just the 201's.
                          Holton's student tubas and euphs have been made by Weril in Brazil for the past several years where the 4v inline did have a large shank receiver and open leadpipe, are you sure that it was the Japanese Holtons with the large shank leadpipe and not a Brazilian?

Bundy also had some Keilwerth made saxes that are gems.
                          I've got a Kurath (Pre Willson) Silver 3v BBb tuba Stencilled as a Van Hall. Van Hall made a load of bad instruments in Holland. I thought it was a piece of poop until I polished enough black tarnish away to read Kurath.

Comment

Working...
                          X