Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

The Yamaha 321 does not have a 3rd valve trigger, the King 2280 does. See this link for some pictures:

King 2280

Snorlax,

You're correct in saying that using the left hand to operate the 4th valve on a '4 valve in line' model might cause problems with the valve sticking. You sure wouldn't be pressing the valve down directly as you would if used as intended. Plus using the LH on the 4th valve when standing would be very difficult and still be able to support the horn.

When I move my pinky, my ring finger moves almost as much because of the tendons being shared. This is one reason I looked for a 3+1 setup to start with many years ago.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

2. King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Originally posted by: SaintsFan

CONFUSED!

I have read somewhere (will have to find it again) that the Bach 1110 was a clone of the* King 2280 and, as I understand both have the 3rd valve trigger.

If the Bach 1110 is a clone of the Yamaha, as Snorlax has pointed out,*where is the 3rd valve. Doesn't sound like the same instrument to me.

Hope y'all can shed some light on this for me.
    Thanks, Eric
    A long time ago Bach brasses were made by King. I've only seen 3v models from that time.
    Then Yamaha Started making them until 2005 ish as well as building for Holton. At this point the B1110 was a "Bach USA... Made in Japan" stencilled YEP321.
    Then King took over again for Bach and King briefly made 2280 stencilled as a Stradivarius which had the "trigger". I only saw it in a brochure and price list. Conn Selmer never has been able to keep their website current since forming and it never updated the photo on it until it discontinued it.
    Now, Bach doesn't have aby euphs and Holtons are made in Brazil bt Weril.

3. King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Also, using your left hand like a 3+1 on a 4v inline will only cause problems if your technique is applying side pressure.
    Direct vertical force and you're OK.

4. King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

The history of the Bach B1110 as explained by prototypedenNIS is what I remember reading about that model. Thanks for the clarification - I knew somebody would know the particulars. Chances are that most instruments with the B1110 label you will encounter will be a Yamaha 321 clone, but there is an odd chance you may encounter a rare 2280 clone with the Bach label.

A lot of the old American brands that were the leaders in euphonium and tuba production have either diminished or ceased production completely since the amalgamation of those brands into the Conn-Selmer conglomerate. I find it a little sad that you can't buy a Conn euphonium or a Holton tuba these days - gone the way of the Oldsmobile Rocket 88 and the Hudson Hornet.

5. King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

o.k. very informative discussion for me! Thanks to everbody for all the good information! I would like to hear what your preference as to which model you would choose, given a choice between these two. Thanks

King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Eric,
    That's a personal matter! I am a certain body type and a certain face type and have a certain sound that I wish to achieve in the musical contexts in which I operate.

You are probably different from me in all those key areas, so my decisions and preferences may not work for you.

They are both quality instruments with decent enough resale value. The King is a bit bigger and uses a large receiver.

The 321 is a bit smaller and uses a small receiver.

By your forum name, I assume you are in or near NOLA. There should be examples of both available for you to try. Check with local colleges or highschools.

People here on the forum are all dedicated players with a wide range of performing experience, but there is NO substitute for getting YOUR face on a couple examples of each horn.

If you prefer, as I think you mentioned earlier, to buy an American-made instrument, then that limits you to the King...at least I **THINK** it's still made here.
    Older Yamahas are Japanese, and some newer Yamaha instruments are made in China.

Find some & try 'em out!!

Jim W.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

7. King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

2280 is still USA. All Conn-Selmer Tubae and euphoniae are still USA except for Holton ehich is Brazillian.

8. King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

I own a King 2280, And im quite positive that the Bach B1110 is not a large shank, so you will not get as much sound out of it as a King 2280...

9. King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Originally posted by: Dannyspandleuphonium

I own a King 2280, And im quite positive that the Bach B1110 is not a large shank, so you will not get as much sound out of it as a King 2280...
    To clarify, if it's a Yamaha 321 Bach B1110 it is small small, if it's a King Bach 1110 it is large.

10. King 2280 vs. Bach B1110

Jim,

Sounds like good advice. You're powers of deduction rival those of Sherlock Holmes! I'm just up the road from New Orleans in Baton Rouge. I haven't had any luck here in town finding anyone who keeps euphoniums in stock for trial purposes. They all stock the usual variety of beginning band instruments and would be glad to special order a euphonium for me one as soon as I'm ready to buy. Imagine that!

I haven't tried anyone in the New Orleans area yet but that's probably where I'll have to go to find someone. I'll try to make some calls to see.

Sight unseen, I find myself leaning toward the King 2280. I'd really like to get up close to make that call.

Thanks again, Eric

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast