X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littleguino
    • Aug 2010

"screamer" mouthpieces

One of my trumpet player friends recently purchased a mouthpiece with a very shallow cup and he calls it a screamer mouthpiece. He said that the first time that he used it that his range was immediately bumped up a fourth. I immediately noticed that his tone had gotten rather thin but in the weeks since he purchased it his tone quality has significantly improved and he is now able to play those super high first trumpet parts required for our jazz band.

I was wondering if there is a mouthpiece available for euphonium/trombone that is comparable to this. It might help someone make it through a demanding solo or band part that doesn't go into a loer register where I think it would severely affect the tone quality negatively.

Before you try to talk me out of buying one of these just know that I am merely curious. For my purposes on euph, it would hinder my playing because everything I'm playing has a lot in the lower register and a shallow mouthpiece would make things unnecessarily hard.

• blueeuph
    • Feb 2006

"screamer" mouthpiecesGoing on the small end of things, the Bach 12C if that or maybe a mouthpiece that's more suited for the alto trombone. Is there anything in the euphonium reporitoire (band or solo pieces) that stays in the clouds for 2+ minutes

Going on the small end of things, the Bach 12C if that or maybe a mouthpiece that's more suited for the alto trombone. Is there anything in the euphonium reporitoire (band or solo pieces) that stays in the clouds for 2+ minutes straight. I just don't see a need for a such a mouthpiece for euphonium knowing how flexible we need to be going from both extremes of the range. We're not 1st trumpet players. Just stick to a mouthpiece that allows you to be flexible and fits a happy medium from playing low to the occasional high Db without any problems and have a clear concept of the sound you want. For me right now, that mouthpiece would be the SM4U. For others it could be the Shilke 51D etc .

Comment

• JoCologne
      • Oct 2009

"screamer" mouthpiecesGoing on the small end of things, the Bach 12C if that or maybe a mouthpiece that's more suited for the alto trombone. Is there anything in the euphonium reporitoire (band or solo pieces) that stays in the clouds for 2+ minutes

I've got such a MP for my first months in our local Bigband, when I came in and had to play the 1st trombone part (with trombone). Since I played the Yam 48 MP on Euph at this time I tried the JK exclusive mouthpieces with the the same rim diameter. To catch the high parts I decided to start with the most shallow MP with 25.25 mm diameter, the 8G. Some months later I changed to the 8E, a slightly deeper MP with fuller sound (the 8G makes a very bright sound and is very thin in low range). You can get each MP with varied depths from Josef Klier.

Jochen

Boosey&Hawkes Imperial with SM4(U-X),
      YEP-321 with DW 4AY ...
      ... and my cello

Comment

Working...
      X