Thread: Replacement for 1970 Besson Euphonium

1. Replacement for 1970 Besson Euphonium

I am looking to replace my 1970 Besson euphonium. It has an 11" bell and a european shank receiver. I would like to come as close as possible to this horn, as I have played it for over 40 years!! All the horns I've tried are noticeably larger, which doesn't help me, as I am a 5' tall woman who plays mostly as a hobbyist now. I would love an opinion or two.

Replacement for 1970 Besson Euphonium

Do you mean the newer ones are larger for your lungs to fill or larger (physically) for you to hold? If it's lungs, then you could look at the Kanstul compensator, which has only a .580" bore (vs. the .592" bore of most other top-line compensators). Your current horn has a .580 bore as well, although the smaller mouthpiece receiver may be easier on the lungs.

If it's physical dimensions, then I confess I haven't paid much attention to that factor. The only horn I remember that was clearly more petite in exterior dimensions is the Adams Custom. Even then, you probably need to look at a newer production run, because reports from an Army conference a couple years back told of an overly-long reach for the left hand. The ones I tried last May had a very easy reach. (My hands are somewhat large, but my fingers are not all that long - in any case, I like a shorter reach.)

If the main problem is the height from the mouthpiece to the bottom of the horn (where it rests on your lap/leg), then I'm sure Sterling would be happy to make you one with the leadpipe mounted lower on the bell to reduce that particular dimension. That would be a special order, though, so you should talk to Custom Music about how that might work. The Sterling also has a comfortable reach for the left hand.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Replacement for 1970 Besson Euphonium

Both problems, actually! I have played the larger bore horns and getting a decent lower range especially is a problem because of both the bore and the large shank mouthpiece. I could get used to it, I suppose, but I'm thinking I'm one of those old dogs who don't want to learn new tricks! The reach is less of a problem but it definitely doesn't feel comfortable for me. I am considering a Besson 968 based on the printed demensions, which seem closest to my present horn. (Although it is hard for me to admit, I guess I don't really have need of the alsolute ultimate in euphoniums anymore!)

4. Replacement for 1970 Besson Euphonium

Based on your size discussion I would consider the following:

1. Besson 968 - should be similar in physical size to your 1970 Besson (11" bell, similar overall), but uses a large shank receiver.

2. Yamaha 842S - Has leadpipe mounted low on bell and the third valve slide is very close to the outer branch to make the reach to the 4th valve very manageable. Feels much smaller than a 642S.

3. Willson 2900 - Euro shank, smaller bell horn, generally feels "smaller" than a Besson.

4. Get your 1970 Besson rebuilt by a reputable group. (Expect for it to be gone for at least 6 months). Rent or purchase a used Yamaha 321 to hold you over till you get your Besson back.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band