Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Valve oil

Valve oil

Originally posted by: Snorlax

So that green slime that appears in the ports of my valves is residue from the Hetman's?
    The first time I had Hetman applied to my valves was when Lee Stofer aligned them at TUSABTEC '09. Three days later, I momentarily non-plussed to discover waxy yellow rings in the ports of all four valves when I went to re-oil them.

I presume the residue was from the Hetman's, as opposed to an interaction between Hetman's and the Blue Juice I had used previously, since Lee had wiped down the valves and swabbed the casings before aligning them and applying the Hetman's, and I had not squirted Blue Juice down the leadpipe in the interim.

2. Valve oil

I had pretty good luck with Hetman's for a while, but I started noticing inconsistent performance whenever seasons changed (never figured if it was the change in humidity or the change in temp).

Al Cass has been working well for me. I tried mixing the two for a while, but the straight Al Cass has worked out best for my horn.

Valve oil

Well, OK...I picked up a couple of bottles of the Yamaha oil today for my 5050. I'm going to bathe it later this week and get as much of the hetmans out as I can. That green portslime was not attractive.
    Jim W.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321
    Yamaha 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL or Alliance E3A
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Valve oil

Originally posted by: JTJ I would use Blue Juice when I wanted a standard oil, but it to me smells, yet not to everyone it seems
    Oh, I wouldn't say I don't notice the smell . But I "grew up" with petroleum oil on my horns, so it doesn't bother me. I will say that Blue Juice may be a bit smellier than some petroleum oils. The only thing that really bothers me, I guess is the fact that it is blue. I like blue, but I wonder if this color is provided by an additive that is only cosmetic, in which case I'd be perfectly happy with a clear oil that worked as well. Obviously I am not a marketer by training, so I suppose Blue Juice sounds better than Clear Juice.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Valve oil

I'll have to sample that yamaha synthetic oil. I remember that yamaha used to sell a conventional valve oil that smelled incredibly bad -- I always wondered if it was whale blubber or something.

--
    Barry

Valve oil

Dave, I find the smell simply awful, and wonder what causes it to be so strong. It seems to be more than a distillate smell.

But man I like the valve action with Blue Juice!

Valve oil

Originally posted by: JTJ Dave, I find the smell simply awful, and wonder what causes it to be so strong.
    John: I'm not sure why that would be. I have never stumbled upon the Blue Juice folks at a conference, but that would make for a good question.

Given that allergies are very different from person to person, I'm wondering if a reaction as strong as yours could be due to your body trying to keep you away from something that is a physical threat at some level.

Some churches I know have no-scent zones, and other public do that as well. Maybe bands will start having "synthetic-oil-only" zones

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

8. Valve oil

Al Cass for years. A medium oil with little smell and short lasting after taste. I use a squirt (5 drops ish) down the lead pipe every day then lightly blow straight air while fanning the valves. Once a week I apply directly, soaking the valves after a lint free cloth wipe down.

I do miss the eye dropper they use to include (1970's flashback).

Besson 767 New Standard, SM 4U
    Irondequoit Concert Band & Penfield Pops, Rochester NY area

F-Alphorn, Hubert Hense maker, Alderwood
    Alphorn Society of Western NY

9. Valve oil

I use Blue Juice as well!

10. Valve oil

Denis Wick right now. I've used Al Cass.
    Didn't like Zaja.
    Also used generic no name valve oil.

Remember, valve oil shouldn't be used to fix your mechanical valve problems!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast