Thread: Schiller 3 valve vs 4 valve

1. Schiller 3 valve vs 4 valve

My new years resolution is to learn to play the euphonium in a community band (I played trombone in high school 40 years ago). So I am in the market for a budget instrument.

I read good things about the Schiller Elite Comp. But since I am a rank beginner, I don't know if I will ever need a compensating horn. So my question is: why is the Schiller 300 ($639) more expensive than the Schiller 400 ($585)? Would you recommend either of these for a 53 year old beginner?

Schiller 3 valve vs 4 valve

The pricing on Jim Laabs' website is all over the map: the nickel 300 is $100 less than the lacquer 300; the nickel 400 is $504 more than the lacquer 400; the nickel and lacquer 450s are identically priced; and the prices of the 450s and nickel 400 are higher than the price of the lacquer Schiller Elite.

While I'm sure Jim Laabs would be more than willing to sell the 400s and 450s at the prices listed on the website, as kendia noted in another thread (about half way down the page), they do sell them for less than the Elite, so your best bet for obtaining the best price on whichever non-compensator you settle on will be to call their 800 number and inquire directly.