Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USABTEC

1. USABTEC

This year it is being held from January 26-29. I am planning on going (probably driving down, perhaps taking the train). Anyone else planning on going?

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

USABTEC

I'm planning to be there!

The conference schedule and hotel info are here

USABTEC

Seeing as it's less than 20 miles from home, I always go. You want to grab a bite, Doug? My absolute favorite Mexican or hamburger restaurants are just a few minutes from the base.

http://www.guajillogrill.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rays-hell-burger-arlington-2

I'd love to meet you, fsung, maybe if we were to meet face to face we'd stop disagreeing on EVERYTHING on the forum?!?

--
    Barry

USABTEC

I and the entire WVU tuba/euph studio, plus our applied instructor are going to be at the conference for all 3 days. Very excited.

USABTEC

I will be there (my second). Last year I stayed at the recommended Virginian Suites, which was OK but no restaurant. Are there other close places with a restaurant? I have heard there is a Days Inn close.

Thanks....LH

USABTEC

The Days Inn is right across the street from the pedestrian entrance, but it's (more than a little bit of) a dump (and tends to be overrun with HS/college tubists/euphers).

I've stayed at the Sheraton National, which has a very nice restaurant (and a great breakfast buffet), the past couple of years. It seems to attract a "more chronologically mature/less boisterous" crowd than the Days Inn. It's < 1 mile from the front gate. (You can see if from Bruckner Hall).

I've heard from people whose judgment I respect that the Best Western Rosslyn/Iwo Jima (also < 1 mi from the front gate) is very nice as well.

USABTEC

Thanks for the recommendations. It looks like the Best Western would be >$100 less than the Sheraton for a 2-night stay, so that may be the one (and they DO have a restaurant).

See you at the conference....LH

USABTEC

Originally posted by: LCH3

Thanks for the recommendations.* It looks like the Best Western would be >$100 less than the Sheraton for a 2-night stay, so that may be the one (and they DO have a restaurant).

>
    Not necessarily.

Forget the posted rates, even the rates quoted on Priceline/Hotwire/Travelocity/Hotels.com, etc.. Book your room through Priceline's "Name Your Own Price."

Both times I stayed at the Sheraton, I bid significantly less than the Priceline posted rate of $67/night for the Days Inn, and got it for less than the folks I know who stayed at the Best Western paid for their rooms.

USABTEC

Felix, you are truly a wealth of information! I shall follow your recommendation on booking.

Thanks again!

USABTEC

Originally posted by: LCH3 Felix, you are truly a wealth of information!
    Right you are!! I have considered changing his forum title from "Senior Member" to "Weath of Information Guy" but that seemed a bit awkward.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast