Thread: SM5

1. SM5

hello!! i need a help......the SM5 euphonium mouthpiece is deep like SM3?!

im looking a deep mouthpiece but,not so big like SM4 and SM3.

THANKS!!

2. SM5

All of the Wick Steven Mead (SM) series mouthpieces are "deep" mouthpieces. The SM5 is just a smaller rim size.
    Sterling Virtuoso 1065HGS & Adams E3 Prototype 0.70 Top Sprung valves
    Sterling Virtuoso 1050HGS baritone
    New England Brass Band
    Winchendon Winds/Townsend Military Band

SM5

Originally posted by: daruby

All of the Wick Steven Mead (SM) series mouthpieces are "deep" mouthpieces. The SM5 is just a smaller rim size.
    Doug,

Do you know whether or not the various SM sizes are all the same depth?

If memory serves, the Wick 3 is deeper than the Wick 4, and Steve Mead has apparently confirmed that the Ultra 3 and 4 are the same depth, which is apparently a departure from past Mead-endorsed mpcs (classic SM, Alliance).

SM5

In my experiences with both mouthpieces, the SM4 depth is shallower then the 3. I would guess that the 5 may be even shallower or closer to that of the 4. To me, the Ultra Mouthpiece 4 is a bit shallower then the SM3 but the sound is more flexible then the SM4. You would find it a fair bit easier to go to the low register if you have to with the Ultra 4.

5. SM5

Originally posted by: Emanuel29 hello!! i need a help......the SM5 euphonium mouthpiece is deep like SM3?!

im looking a deep mouthpiece but,not so big like SM4 and SM3.

THANKS!!
    Hi emanuel29

I know exactly how you feel, having played trom & baritone I felt that the sm3 & 4 were just too big so I tried the sm5 & felt perfect. This mp does have a deep cup but it is slightly shallower than the 4 so there shouldn't be much difference in sound.

SM5

I just did some non-scientific measurements. The depth difference is quite small, but the SM3 is deeper then the SM4.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium