Thread: Looking for a used euphonium - Have advice? Will listen!

1. Looking for a used euphonium - Have advice? Will listen!

Sorry in advance for my long-windedness! Here's my situation...

I'm looking for a used euphonium to play in my church's orchestra. Right now I'm primarily a bass clarinet/clarinet player, but the brass section is pretty skimpy and since I played euphonium in college I thought I could help out (I'm pretty sure I played a compensating Besson, but I can't remember for sure - I'm only sure about the 3+1 valve placement and that the pitch was good in the lower register).

I'm looking for an instrument that I can grow into and then mature with (rather than needing/wanting to get another instrument a few years from now if I feel I can no longer grow with the one I have) and one that will have some resale value if that becomes neccessary later. Based on the research I've done so far, I would like to get a compensating instrument made by a good company (Yamaha, Besson, Willson, - or Meinl Weston? How are these?). Additionally, I was hoping to be able to work out some sort of "play before pay" deal. I also have not been able as of yet to go to any music stores and try out any models for various reasons, the biggest being that there are actually shockingly few band/orchestra retailers in the city of Chicago.

Here's the main issue: money (isn't it always?) I don't feel I'm able spend more than $2000 - and this limit was just adjusted up out of apparent neccessity after doing my initial research. Is there an instrument out there for me to meet my criteria? Or would it be better to settle for a non-compensating instrument that is more likely to fall into my price range?

Please, answer one and answer all! Thank you!

2. Looking for a used euphonium - Have advice? Will listen!

I moved your message to the proper topic area. If you scan some of the topics (like one just prior to yours) you will see much good advice.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Looking for a used euphonium - Have advice? Will listen!

Unfortunately, there are shockingly few band/orchestra retailers in the US as a whole (unless you consider the Guitar Center/Music123/Music & Arts/Lyon Music/WWBW conglomerate to be a band/orchestra retailer), and fewer still that can afford to keep a compensator (much less multiple horns) in stock on the off-chance that a customer will waltz in the door hoping to buy one. Woodwind Brasswind in South Bend is probably your best bet to try out a bunch of new horns, but if you're interested in trying specific models, call to make an appointment before you go to ensure they have them on site.

Meinl-Weston makes a number of fine tubas, but their euphonium offerings have been less well received. The 451, in particular, has a number of "interesting" intonation tendencies, and MW piston valves have a reputation for being "fussy."

Unless you're willing to go the Chinese/Indian clone route, you'll be hard pressed to find a new compensating euph for $2000 or less. While most of the clones no longer the instrument-shaped-objects of the past, they have not, as yet, have a long enough track record for reliability to retain significant resale value. Dillon Music, Tuba Exchange, and Tuba MM all sell a rebranded Jin Bao compensator for around $2000; Jim Laabs' rebranded Jin Bao, the Schiller Elite, which has been well received by members of this board, in lacquer sells for < $900. Again, though, none of these brands is likely to retain much resale value.

On the used front, Besson New Standards, B&H Imperials, and older Sovereigns in reasonably good mechanical condition routinely sell for less than $2000 on Ebay. There's currently a New Standard listed with an opening asking bid of $1500. Yamaha 641s or Miraphone 1258s occasionally sell for less than $2000, but the selling price of most other models is generally higher.

College and university communities can be a fruitful source for good quality instruments at reasonable prices, particularly toward the end of the school year as people graduate, switch majors, or drop out.

Don't overlook pawnshops, auctions, and estate sales as possible sources. (The tubist in my church brass ensemble picked up a PT-605 BBb tuba with hard case and gig bag for $50 (!) at an estate sale).

4. Looking for a used euphonium - Have advice? Will listen!

You can get a new Besson 3+1 non-comp in silver for well below your budget limit.

Otherwise, many stores offer financing.
    Your best luck for finding a quality pro horn near your budget that's made in Europe is to get one of the last Yorks.
    Here is their ebay store as they clear them out. It looks like they're being cleared out by Buffet Crampon USA in Jacksonville.
    http://myworld.ebay.ca/york.brassinstruments/

pardon the late edit, I forgot to use the word "new"

Looking for a used euphonium - Have advice? Will listen!

Did you find a horn?