Thread: Fantasia

1. Fantasia

I'm planning on performing Gordon Jacob's Fantasia on my recital in April and enter in the Midwest ITEA regional. So I was discussing this piece with a friend of mine and he mentioned that there is an article somewhere by Brian Bowman talking about an incorrect note. My friend tells me that he, Bowman, discovered this when looking at an original manuscript of the piece. I believe it's in the Cadenza where there is an accidental error. Not totally sure on it because neither of us could locate the article. It may be in a previous ITEA journal, but I don't have those. Does anyone know anything more about this? I'd like to perform this piece with ALL the correct notes!!

Fantasia

Dr. Bowman's article, Corrections in Standard Euphonium Solos , appears in ITEA Journal 35:4 (Summer 2008).

There are actually two wrong notes in the cadenza: a high D and a G instead of a D-flat and an E-flat.

3. Fantasia

Ahh!! Thank you! Very helpful indeed. I wish I had know about this article last year, seeing as I performed Symphonic Variants.... It's very interesting to hear that these pieces have been performed incorrectly for so many years. I wonder how widespread this article is to other euphoniumists?

4. Fantasia

I thought those sounded funny!

5. Fantasia

So it's the measure immediately after the fermata high Bb? All the D's and G's change to natural? Correct?

6. I realize this is an old tread, but I am playing the Fantasia in a few months, and I do not understand just what notes, wear, need to be changed. Thanks for any help!
    Ray Horton, retired bass trombonist, Louisville Orchestra

You can find printed examples of the corrections (including the composer's original manuscript!) in this issue of the ITEA Journal:

http://www.iteaonline.org/members/jo...35N4bowman.php

You have to be a member to see this, but membership is very reasonable. The Journal archives have TONS of useful articles about corrections to music, suggestions on how to play some of our common solos and band pieces, advice from experts, music reviews, etc. Learn more here:

https://www.iteaonline.org/members/J...in-Renew-ITEA/

If you are OK with not getting printed Journals and just seeing them online, a retired membership is $31.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

8. Thanks, Dave! I will join.

9. Fabulous! Really makes a difference! That High D just was not centering well for me, my mouthpiece (still a big one from my bass trombone days) and my horn. Thanks!!!