Thread: Large vs. Medium Shank Bessons

1. Large vs. Medium Shank Bessons

I have recently received an offer on a Besson New Standard that is a large shank model from the 1970's.

I played a few older medium shank New Standards quite extensively and found that I didn't really like them to the extent that I did the brand new Sovereign I had tried. It felt like there was too much restriction and had to work really hard to get anything above the sixth partial.

How much of a difference the 4 or 5 years between manufacture dates plus the difference in the shank size would make on the overall playability of the instrument? I liked the way that the medium shank instrument sounded and played in the lower/middle register.

Have any of you played both models and could post your impressions? It would greatly help me know whether it is worth to go through putting money down to try out this instrument when the owner lives in Alabama.

2. Large vs. Medium Shank Bessons

I usually found that the early large shanks had more tuning issues with the higher range.

Fantastic huge tone, especially in compensating range though.

That being said, they differ from horn to horn and player to player, just bring a tuner if you can try it out.