• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bvdpress
    • Jan 2006

Tuba solo to premiere on web Nov 17!!

Dear All,

On November 17, 2010 at 8PM Northern Illinois University will be broadcasting live the premiere of Tom Bough's "Suite for Tuba and Band" on the web here:

Premiere link

In addition to being the composer, Tom will also be the soloist for the premiere!

Here is what Tom writes about the piece:

"Suite for Tuba and Band" is dedicated to Sam Pilafian, the tuba player and founding member of the Empire Brass Quintet. The four movement composition represents one of the most substantial works for solo tuba and concert band in the last decade. This work was written by a tuba player for tuba players. Each movement represents the musical character of the tuba in a different light. The first movement juxtaposes the rhythmic complexity of shifting asymetric meters with a conga-supported fusion jazz melody. The second movement offers the soloist a chance to improvise and take the melodic lead on the Dixieland classic tune "That's a Plenty". The third movement, "Lullaby", allows the melodic character of the tuba to take center stage. The fourth movement weaves themes from the previous three movements into original material to bring the composition to a stirring climax.
    Having done all of the music engraving and played through the piece myself, I have found it fun, challenging and also very approachable for both the player and the accompanying ensemble. There will also be a piano reduction available.

I am still finishing up some of the details, but I will post samples of the solo part in this thread shortly.

So if you have about 14 minutes to spare time, tune in on November 17!

Wishing all well,
  • bvdpress
    • Jan 2006

Tuba solo to premiere on web Nov 17!!

A link for samples of the Tuba and Band version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6mm0c2h8t4dpg46

After I finishing editing it, I will post the Tuba and Piano version samples as well.

Comment

Working...
    X