Thread: Knocking the rust off....

1. Knocking the rust off....

ok...much like the young man from the earlier post,I too am auditioning.I am trying out for the Cereal City Concert Band,in Battle Creek Mi..I just moved back to Mich.,and after being here a week,an ad in the paper came in holding open auditions...Euphonium being one of them.Now,I find myself with less than a week before the audition(i've been practicing the last two days,scales,prepared piece),and I could REALLY use some help on what to practice in case im missing something.My finger speed seems to still be there,tone is scratchy at times,breath capacity is wanting,stamina is waaay down,and partials are missing more than im comfortable with.Is there some kind of "boot camp" I can put myself through with my remaining time to assure me the best chance possible of doing an acceptable job at my audition?Usually,I would NEVER try anything like this without months of prep time..but...Its a good opportunity,and sounds like it would be a blast!I havent been around organized music like this for 10 years....any help would be GREATLY appreciated!Thanking you in advance.

Knocking the rust off....

I'm guessing you haven't gotten many replies because there is no good answer. That is not enough time to really take your playing to a new level. If you are not ready to play this type of audition in general, you need more time to prepare.

At this point, your plan should be to sharpen those skills you have and put a Bandaid on your weak points. (Be realistic about your skills, including where you are weak and strong.)

Scales are excellent, so keep doing them. HOWEVER, mix them up a bit. Find different scale patterns, such as ones that widen progressively (going to the octave, then the 9th, then the 10th, etc.) Practice them tongued and slurred. Practice them with dotted-eight/sixteenth note rhythms. For one thing, if they ask for scales you need to really have them sounding good. For another thing, scales can train you in other ways and are also a part of most music you will be playing. As you play them, listen for evenness of rhythm and tone. Play them at different dynamics.

That stuff will probably help you sound just a bit better in a few days.

Good luck!

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Knocking the rust off....

Thank you very much,sir.i will do as you advise.thank you for fielding my question.I realize that the time is VERY short on this,and if I dont make it,I dont make it.I'm ok with that.Its just that they dont have tryouts like this very often at all.They are a close knit group.Well I will do my best,and I'll let you guys know how it goes.Really wish I had some more practice time though...phew!Time to ruck up!

4. Knocking the rust off....

Well then,I am happy to report that I did in fact make the Cereal City Concert Band!!Phew!I was pleased with my performance of my prepared piece.Went down as well as it could've considering how very little time I had to prepare.Thank you Mr.Dave Werden for your input,as I am sure it helped.By the way,there was something suprisingly difficult about playing my scales and then going up one,two or three notes above the octave...I was suprised about that,and I will continue to do it!if its a little difficult then it must be working,right?lol!Thanks again Mr. Werden!Being back into a group music atmosphere is so exciting!!!First concert is Nov.8!!I gotta go practice now!!

Knocking the rust off....

Congratulations!
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

6. Knocking the rust off....

Thank you Carbogast!Now to get back to it!Also,I'm gonna try to have a little fun!!