Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Several articles in the Washington Post about the legitimacy and necessity of military bands...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fsung
    • Feb 2008

Several articles in the Washington Post about the legitimacy and necessity of military bands...

Originally posted by: Eupher6
    I'm wondering if Mr. Pincus ever rucked up in his long, illustrious career.
    Just to note that Mr. Pincus' profile on Wikipedia states that he was drafted in 1955 and served in the Army Counterintelligence Corps until 1957.

Comment

• JTJ
      • Nov 2005

Well, OK everyone. I do not have much more to say other than these kinds of arguments are at the core, political, and laden with all kinds of value judgments (Bill Bennett likes band music better than NEA type music -- pure value judgment, has noting to do with the correctness of the spending).

But when I read very long posts touting the various ways the federal government subtracts from our freedoms, quality of life -- whatever -- without discussing any of the benefits of the federal system, I find it hard to believe that we somehow are not talking politics. If that's the way people feel, lets just dump the Constitution and go back the the Articles of Confederation, because in many ways that is what is being advocated.

So here's my thoughts, which I won't back with long posts:

> I have always liked Jefferson's positions on freedom, even thought like all of his time, he was inconsistent. But I have come to like Hamilton's position on the federal government's role better. When I was young, I read Rand, Hyack, Rothbard, the whole crew. But as I aged, my positions have shifted. Still libertarian but seeing an important role for the central government.

> I like military bands and want them continued, even expanded.

> Felix is right that if you eliminated bands the costs may not go away fully; the question is what are the marginal costs of maintaining the bands. I think, though, that many people have been astounded by the sums and that is what is behind the media attention.

> if you are going to argue from the position of today's facile and selective media based conservatism, at least read the other side. If you are touting Austrian economics, then go Google up Paul Krugman's criticism, and so forth. For every one of these attractive arguments, there is a well thought out spectrum of opinion, which as a citizen it is good to read.

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Well, this is getting a little off topic, isn't it? And I'll step right up and take blame. But gee whiz, I need to have a little fun now and then!

I'll try to get back on the main track and summarize what I see above. We all seem to agree that we should keep the bands!

And since the bands DO exist, we should all be aware of the easily obtained recordings they have online. In "the old days" you had to jump through a hoop or two, or just get lucky, or visit your library, to get a military band recording. And of course that was somewhat expensive for the bands, and they would usually just "go out of stock" once the first printing was distributed. That's still the case for the most part if you want a CD.

But in the era of the Internet and MP3 files, here are a few links you might want to check out (if you don't already know about them):

Marine Band Recordings

Air Force Band Recordings

Army Band Recordings

Navy Band Recordings

Coast Guard Band Recordings

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• JTJ
          • Nov 2005

Dave, I am with you 100%, all politics aside. The bands are so important within the services supporting the mission, and so important to our larger society as a cultural contribution that I hope the budget cutting fetish of both the left and the right in this country spares them.

Comment

• fsung
            • Feb 2008

An eloquent--and pointed--reply to Walter Pincus.

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Wow - nicely written! Thanks for finding it and providing the link, Felix.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)
              Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
              YouTube: dwerden
              Facebook: davewerden
              Twitter: davewerden
              Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
              X