Thread: Endearing Young Charms for Euph and Piano arr. Werden

1. Endearing Young Charms for Euph and Piano arr. Werden

I am playing this awesome theme and variations piece for my first studio recital and I have a question. In the 3rd variation there are two D's in the 7th measure. The first D has an sharp accidental and the second D doesn't have an accidental. Normally I would have played the second D like the first but playing the second D natural feels better on the fingers. Is this just a typo and a natural should be on the second D or should the sharp carry through the measure?

Endearing Young Charms for Euph and Piano arr. Werden

Your instincts have not failed you! The 2nd D should be natural. Actually, it's part of a test of the player's maturity. Now that you have passed the test I can show you the secret handshake!

But seriously, which edition are you using? If it is from Cimarron I'd like to make sure it is corrected.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams E3, Denis Wick 4AL (classic)
    Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
    Twitter: davewerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    YouTube: dwerden
    Owner of TubaEuph.com, DWerden.com

3. Endearing Young Charms for Euph and Piano arr. Werden

I knew it! It just sounds more natural. It is the Cimarron Music Edition.

4. Endearing Young Charms for Euph and Piano arr. Werden

I have the Cimarron edition, but the second D is correctly marked natural. I bought mine in the late '90s--perhaps something changed in a more recent printing...

Endearing Young Charms for Euph and Piano arr. Werden

I reported it to the publisher and he said he will fix this version and check the duet version and the tuba/quintet version as well. Thanks for helping "clean things up."

I suspect the earlier version was from my original printing. The publisher later transcribed most of my old stuff into Finale to make better parts. They are usually pretty accurate, but there is always a possibility of an error popping up.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams E3, Denis Wick 4AL (classic)
    Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
    Twitter: davewerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    YouTube: dwerden
    Owner of TubaEuph.com, DWerden.com