Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finale vs. Sibelius

Finale vs. Sibelius

I use Finale 2005. It's seems quite suitable for composing and arranging. What I don't like is my inability to create a divisi with differing rhythmic structures, and I'm also not fond of the percussion feedback that I often get. I do find it quite easy to use though.

I did get some feedback between the 2 programs from a professional composer. He made a comment that many of the composers who use Sibelius are of the pretentious variety. It seemed like an odd comment but is plausible considering brand identification.

Finale vs. Sibelius

Originally posted by: uieuph

I use Finale 2005. It's seems quite suitable for composing and arranging. What I don't like is my inability to create a divisi with differing rhythmic structures, (snip)
    David,

I can do divisi (with different rhythms) on my Finale 2001 version, so I'm pretty sure you should be able to too. You have to use a different layer. The icons are at the bottom left corner of the screen - (numbers 1,2,3,4) which offers up to 4 layers. The notes change color. Have you tried that? See this image:

...just click on number 2,3 or 4 (default is 1)
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Finale vs. Sibelius

RickF, you have been more cool than you likely realize. I could not find it with repeated searches in the help file in the time that I've had it. I'm going to check that out when I get home. Thank you.

Finale vs. Sibelius

Sorry - I just realized I never circled back to this discussion. I have settled on Sibelius. I'll keep my Finale 2011 version around for easy access to my old files, but everything new is going to be on Sibelius. It's just much easier to get nicely-formatted sheet music out of it.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Finale vs. Sibelius

Well, It looks like I'll finally update. Had a version of Sibelius 1.someonthing on my old compy. I want to get back into it.

Finale vs. Sibelius

FWIW, one of my Facebook friends posted a question about which one to buy. She got several responses and Sibelius was the overwhelming choice.

Sibelius: 9 (including composer Barbara York)
    Finale: 2
    Finale Notepad: 1

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Finale vs. Sibelius

Revisiting the discussion, I work for a publisher now who prefers Finale over Sibelius.

Finale vs. Sibelius

Originally posted by: uieuph Revisiting the discussion, I work for a publisher now who prefers Finale over Sibelius.
    Not surprising, in my opinion. Sibelius is outstanding at making nice-looking output without a lot of user effort. But if you really want publisher-quality final results, Finale can be better if you put the time in to make it right.

For me and many others who rely on publishers to produce the final product, Sibelius is easier to learn, quicker to use, and gives you all the quality you need for most needs before the final published version is produced. There are products that can convert Sibelius to Finale, so my publisher, Cimarron Music, can easily accept my files and move them to Finale.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Finale vs. Sibelius

Originally posted by: davewerden

Sorry - I just realized I never circled back to this discussion. I have settled on Sibelius. I'll keep my Finale 2011 version around for easy access to my old files, but everything new is going to be on Sibelius. It's just much easier to get nicely-formatted sheet music out of it.
    Easier sure would be nice. After using Finale (2001 ver) for almost 10 years, I'm still learning certain things. It's powerful, but not necessarily intuitive. It took me days to figure out how to run stems from TC staff to BC staff, and beam between staffs (see images below of 2 measures from piano part of Handel's "Every Valley Shall be Exalted").

Last edited by RickF; 07-06-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: correct attachments
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Finale vs. Sibelius

Originally posted by: RickF Easier sure would be nice. After using Finale (2001 ver) for almost 10 years, I'm still learning certain things. It's powerful, but not necessarily intuitive. It took me days to figure out how to run stems from TC staff to BC staff, and beam between staffs (see images below of 2 measures from piano part of "Every Valley Shall be Exalted").
    I hadn't tried this before, so I input a couple measures into Sibelius then hit F1 to get to the help file. Did a search for "cross-staff" and found it. I figured hout how to do both types in about 10 minutes or less.

To cross a scale, you enter all the notes in one staff, select the ones you want in the other staff, hit a keystroke, and you're done. Beaming is automatically still joined. If you want to adjust the beam angle, select it and drag either end up or down.

To join octaves/chords on the same stem or under the same beam is a little goofy-seeming, but works easily enough. In the 8th note example, you select the beam on one staff and hit a keystoke to hide it, then grab the beam from the other staff and drag it where you want it (extend it across to the other staff). Same idea for the quarter note. Hide the stem in one staff, drag-extend the other stem to do the job for both staves.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast