X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tubeuphobia
    • Sep 2010

3+1 versus 4 on top

My principle instrument is a BB Tuba - I currently use a 4 valve front action piston model Kanstul - Recently I have been looking at Euphoniums, a 4 valve large bore with a large shank Mpc for obvious reasons - My question is in regards to the two standard piston configurations currently on the market - The 3 + 1 and the 4 on top - Which type of configuration is better, or this generally a personal preference ? and why is one configuration better than the other ? - is it easier to use? faster to use? more open wrapped? bigger broader tones? or maybe it just looks cool ... How about some of you Euphonium players enlighten me ...

• prototypedenNIS
    • Feb 2006

3+1 versus 4 on top

Your pinky is generally less versatile than your off hand pointer.
    3+1 allows for more conical design.
    Very few companies make a 4v inline comp (exception to Willson)
    4 valve inline is cheaper to make as much of the bracing does not need to change and the tubing changes are minimal.

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

3+1 versus 4 on top

I much prefer the 3+1 setup myself. My left index finger is about 10 times faster than my right pinky. Also, since a 3+1 setup has the 4th valve further away from the 3 valve cluster, there's more room to increase the bore size of the fourth valve run (.660 vs .590 for instance).
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

3+1 versus 4 on top

One other thought. You've been playing a tuba with a 4-in-a-row valve setup and might think you would be more comfortable with 4 inline on a euphonium, too. Keep in mind, though, that your hand/wrist are just a bit more strained when held up beside your body rather than wrapping around to the front of the horn. For that reason, the extra strength of your left index finger might be smarter to exploit compared to the weakness (and connection to the finger next door) of your right pinky. It will take a little while to get used to the "extra" hand, but you'll get there.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• warumtobendieheiden
          • May 2008

3+1 versus 4 on top

Yeah, back when I played a Yam 321, I worked the 4th valve by reaching clear around the front of the horn with my left arm. Looked awkward, but felt completely natural. I would never, ever use my right pinky on the 4th valve. Go with the 3+1 configuration!

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
            • Feb 2006

3+1 versus 4 on top

me too!

Comment

• jeffo
              • Mar 2010

3+1 versus 4 on top

When I played a yep321 I was comfortable using my right pinky, though if there was very fast or awkward valve work, I'd sometimes use my left index finger, or sometimes if the music allowed, I'd briefly shift my right hand over one valve so that my ring finger was on the 4th valve. It was relatively rare that I ever need to use something other than my pinky though.

When I switched to a compensating horn, it took me maybe a month or two to feel comfortable with the 3+1

Comment

• JBrassLee
                • Jan 2011

3+1 versus 4 on top

Try before you buy! See what works for you...I ordered a yamaha 321 to replace my stencil horn disaster..I played a 321 many moons ago and never had a problem with the valves on top...I would use two hands for past passages and qucik cheats and use one hand for long tones where the 4th valve is needed..

Comment

Working...
                X