Thread: What should I be looking for?

1. What should I be looking for?

Hello all! I'm new here. To give you context for my question, I'll give you the quick rundown on who I am:

Trumpet was my main instrument for 20 years, I went to school for music, got a MM from New England Conservatory, played professionally for several years, then burnt out around age 30. I took a few years away from playing seriously, then started toying with a valve trombone (and gigging on it with bar bands.) Several months ago, I started playing slide trombone, and have now been itching to get back into chamber/orchestral music (likely on euph). I recently got a call to play euph in an orchetra -- which I'd love to do, but I don't have a horn.

I will likely just try to find a borrow for this gig, but as I begin to poke around and think about buying one, I realized that I don't even know which horns are appropriate for what I am looking to do. I don't think I need a compensating instrument (and can't afford one anyway!) as I've never played one (back in high school I played a Yamaha 321 for 3 years), and won't be playing at a pro level anymore.

I'm leaning on a used 321 due to it's small shank, and relative known-entity-ness. Should I be looking at other things? Is this an appropriate instrument for orchestral & chamber settings? What am I forgetting/missing? Any other suggesions you all can make?

Thanks in advance!

What should I be looking for?

It depends on your ability, the orchestra's abilities, and your goals. I once heard the Chicago Symphony perform a piece with a very exposed euphonium part. This was in the middle 1970's when there were not as many choices in euphoniums. He produced a fine, huge sound on a Yamaha 321.

Today, it seems like most folks who play orchestral euphonium parts use a pro-level compensating horn. Perhaps that is because these horn can produce a large sound more easily than the 321 (and partly because actual euphoniumists are hired more often to cover the parts). But a 321 still has lots of capability.

There is also the King 2280, which has a large mouthpiece receiver (bass-trombone size) and a nice sound. It has proven rugged in battle conditions, as has the 321. Either one is fine for chamber as well.

Many people who are not primarily euphoniumists find the horns mentioned above easier to blow and easier to play in tune... not to mention cheaper.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

The 321 is a popular choice among professional trombonists and tubists who double on euph, which makes sense since very little of existing orchestral literature for euph ventures into the compensating range.

If there is a negative to the 321, it's that the small shank receiver is somewhat limiting in terms of air flow, which is generally perceived to be less free blowing and to yield a smaller, more compact sound as compared to large shank 321 clones such as the Jupiter 470 or Weril 980, or a King 2280.

The most impressive sound I've heard on a non-comp euph was made by a good player on a King 2280 -- made me turn my head in surprise.

Connie Shulz of BrassWorks4 played the King 2280 for quite some time. I believe though she moved up to a Besson Prestige a bit ago.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

6. What should I be looking for?

For what you're planning, the 321 sounds perfect. I had the opportunity when I was making my choice to play both a 321 (small bore non-comp) and a 642 (large bore comp). At the time, I played better on the 321. I ended up playing way more tuba than euphonium, and when I was in the marked for a euphonium, I ended up with a Conn 19I (4 valve, non-comp, large bore...King 2280 knock off). I still don't play as much euphonium as I'd like, but still have no issues in my primarilly concert band work having a non-compensating euphonium.