X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bootjacker
    • Jul 2010

CONN J20 MARCHING APPARATUS

NO! I am not crazy nor trying to be funny. This is a genuine request for help. In the mid-60's a man marched in Ross Anderson's Turlock City Band with a Conn J20 bell-front recording bass. He had an aluminum metal apparatus that looked like what modern drummers use. It had two pieces of metal that curved over his shoulders and were attached to a breast plate. On the bottom he had two pieces of metal that curved up to cradle the horn. A strap went around his middle to stabilize this rig. I usually play euphonium or trombone when I march but there are occassions when we need a bass and I don't have a sousaphone. Has anyone ever seen anything like this commercially or know of anyone who has made anything like it? Again, I'm serious. This is not a joke or BS. And no, I'm not looking for a leather strap. I'm too old and need the weight to be balanced on my shoulders.

• Dieter
    • Dec 2009

Bootjacker,

I am sure that Adams (in Ittervoort, the Netherlands and Diest, Belgium) is able to custom-build you a carrying device you describe. They are experienced in both the percussion (marching drums) and euphonium world, so at least they will be able to advice you where to look in your area.

You will find them on the internet, and my experience is that they are very helpful.

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
      • Feb 2006

Guys I knew used a snare drum sling and 2 rings on the back of the tuba. Worked well.

Comment

• Dieter
        • Dec 2009

denNIS,

You mean something like this:

http://www.fanfarekachtem.be/fanfare...a2007_072.html

Comment

• fsung
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by: Bootjacker
          And no, I'm not looking for a leather strap.  I'm too old and need the weight to be balanced on my shoulders.
          There are a number of harness-style straps available for tuba (and euph) that may meet your needs. See the thread on Tubenet for examples.

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by: Dieter

denNIS,

You mean something like this:

http://www.fanfarekachtem.be/f...stcecilia2007_072.html
            "]http://www.fanfarekachtem.be/f...2007_072.html[/URL]

a little bit like that but using a single strap snare harness.
            We used these.

Comment

Working...
            X