Thread: Cerveny Euphs

1. Cerveny Euphs

Hi everyone. New user here. Has anyone played on the Cerveny Emperor or Emperor Premium euphoniums listed on the Woodwind/Brasswind website? They seem like a pretty good deal at that price.

Cerveny Euphs

I have not played one. But there was some discussion on this thread:

Cervany Compensating Euphs

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Cerveny Euphs

I have not played either Cerveny conventional euph, but have blown a Cerveny oval and several Amati 4-valve non-comp conventional euphs. (Amati Denak is the parent company of Cerveny.)

Cerveny tubas and oval euphs have a reputation for bunching at the extremes of the spectrum in terms of quality. Two recent comments on TubeNet:

http://forums.chisham.com/view...p?f=2&t=38530#p337427

http://forums.chisham.com/view...p?f=2&t=38530#p337463

They are also reputed to dent more easily than other makes (one oft-repeated jibe is that they dent if you look at them wrong), owing to the thinness of the metal.

Whether or not the conventional euphs improve in these areas remains to be seen. I can't help but observe, however, that the WWBW sale price is four times that of a Schiller or almost twice that of a sliverplated Dillon with gold tuning slides, finger buttons, and valve caps.

4. Cerveny Euphs

Originally posted by: fsungThey are also reputed to dent more easily than other makes (one oft-repeated jibe is that they dent if you look at them wrong), owing to the thinness of the metal.
    Thickness is OK, it is the horrid brass alloy they use.

Whenever I get an Amati/Cerveny euph or tuba in for repair, the first step in fixing the valves is to straighten the tubing that collapses under its' own weight, pinching into the casings.

I have started rebracing Amati tubas with thick trombone bell braces to enforce them not to bend.

As a tech, I greatly discourage the purchase of an Amati/Cerveny especially as the Chinese copies that have popped up in the last couple of years are simply better made.