Thread: Recommendation for High School Owned Euphonium

Recommendation for High School Owned Euphonium

Our local High School will be adding 2 Euphoniums this year to its Band Program with more than 300 players. The Director is unhappy with the valve durability of the Yamaha 321's they own and asked my opinion about replacements since he knows I play a Willson 2900.

So, any suggestions for high quality and durable High School level Euphoniums for this Band in a well off district? The students do not trash the schools instruments but they do get lots of wear over many years.

2. Recommendation for High School Owned Euphonium

I've seen many Yamaha YEP-642s in my school district that are great horns for the players to learn on until they decide to buy their own. If they want to that is. Many people seem to think it is the "best horn at the best value."

3. Recommendation for High School Owned Euphonium

A 321 should be a bit of a tank. Perhaps the USA made models like King 2280 may be as tank but there's not much more durable than that.
    Besson euphs used to be more durable but are about the same now.
    The Yamaha valves are troublesome as the tolerances are often too tight for a student instrument (and the care that students provide).

What problems has the director been having?

I would not suggest putting pro horns in a band situation as they will get totaled. They're not made any more solid to take that abuse, they're made to be played (lighter bracing, thinner metal in order to resonate better).

High School Band Programs slowly destroy instruments. Some students have no respect for the instruments they are provided with. According to your band program it seems the kids are in order what's your secret?!

Cost is always a factor. Depending on how much your band program is willing to spend I will list some examples.

I have heard wonders about stencil horns, but they do come at some risk. Most of them are Chinese made horns and can vary from quality... Buy with caution...

1) Schiller Elite Fully Compensating Euphonium

Cost- $885

Pros- Fully Compensating, Cons- Quality Varies

2) W. Nirschl I-800 Series Compensating Euphonium Outfit (3 Finish Options)

Cost- $2,397.91

Pros- Fully Compensating/3 Finish Options, Cons- Cost/Quality

Those are just two I have heard that are semi-reliable

Another option you can do for your band is buying used horns through ebay, WWBW, Dillonmusic, Local Music Store, etc....

Well I hope this helped! Best of Luck!

JJK2211

Euphonium: Besson Prestige 2052

If the valves lasting are the main issue, I'd look for something with stainless steel valves instead of monel. (Don't most Yamahas have monel valves?)

Monel is a nickel alloy containing 65-70 percent nickel, 20-29 percent copper, and small amounts of iron, manganese, silicon and carbon. It is softer than stainless steel. It doesn't wear down the valve casing as much as stainless and they develop distinctive wear patterns based on how you use them as the valves break in. While the initial tolerances may be a bit tight, the wear pattern eventually becomes customized to the player.

If you're buying a horn with monel valves and you intend to be the sole owner, that's fine. But if the horn in going to be passed from player to player over many years the poor valves can get very confused as many different players impose many different wear patterns. This can apply to horns with stainless or nickel-plated brass valves, too, but I have old (early 1970s) horns where the valves are still much better than horns less than half their age with monel.

Also, monel valves can also turn blackish with use. While it seems to be a characteristic of the alloy and apparently doesn't affect perforomance, the color change can be upsetting.

School horns are going go get some nasty treatment. There have been several posts in here about Adams, Schiller, Jupiter and other budget instruments that should serve in a school setting. I'd recommend trying the Jupiters. The Yamaha 321 has been king of the schoolyard for a long time, though, and it's still a pretty servicable horn.

=======================
    Dale Long
    South Burlington VT
    Willson 2900S/Denis Wick SM3M
    B.MusEd, SUNY Potsdam, 1979
    M.M., Northwestern University, 1980
    USAF Band of the West, 1981-1985
    =======================

I'm still a fan of the King 2280 for this kind of service. As far as I have heard, the durability has been good even in school use. The horn plays nicely, with a good tone and good intonation.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

For 4-inline valves, I second the 2280, and would add the B&S Perantucci PT-33 and Willson 2704. For 3+1 non-compensating, I would suggest the Willson 2719.

Originally posted by: jjk2211
    I have heard wonders about stencil horns, but they do come at some risk. Most of them are Chinese made horns and can vary from quality... Buy with caution..

1) Schiller Elite Fully Compensating Euphonium

Cost- $885

Pros- Fully Compensating, Cons- Quality Varies

2) W. Nirschl I-800 Series Compensating Euphonium Outfit (3 Finish Options)

Cost- $2,397.91

Pros- Fully Compensating/3 Finish Options, Cons- Cost/Quality

Those are just two I have heard that are semi-reliable

Another option you can do for your band is buying used horns through ebay, WWBW, Dillonmusic, Local Music Store, etc....
    Based on the various samples I've tried, I categorically do NOT recommend most of the Chinese-made clone in a high school or middle school setting at this point, though I might be inclined to recommend one to an individual student (depending on the maturity level of the student). While the quality and workmanship have come a long way over the past 3-4 years, durability has been and remains an issue, particularly with respect to the gauge of the brass and the cut of the valve cap threads.

The same considerations hold for the W. Nirschl offerings, both compensating and non-comp, which are not Chinese but Brazilian (formerly Indian).

The possible exception I would consider at this point is the Eastman Winds EEP-321, which is a large shank stencil of the Yamaha 321. I have not, however, had the opportunity to try an EEP321 (or any Eastman brass instrument, for that matter), so that possible exception is based on the assumption that the praise that Eastman has garnered for the performance, quality, and workmanship of their trumpets and "Eastman by Shires" line of trombones carries over to their euphonium offerings as well.

Originally posted by: Gallenod

(Don't most Yamahas have monel valves?)
    321 valves are nickel-plated. 642 and 842 valves are monel.

There have been several posts in here about Adams, Schiller, Jupiter and other budget instruments that should serve in a school setting.
    Adams euphs are premium level professional instruments in terms of price, performance, and workmanship. At $6000-7000 ($8-10k MSRP), by no stretch can they be considered "budget" instruments.

I third the King 2280.

It can really take a beating, has a great sound, is cheaper than a 321, and is large bore, it's biggest advantage over a 321 imo...

Thanks for all the comments. I will suggest the Director look at the King 2280.