X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fsung
    • Feb 2008

US Army Band, "Pershing's Own" Ceremonial Band euph audition

Announced on Tubenet, but not listed on [l=TUSAB's website]http://www.usarmyband.com/jobs/vacancies.htmlp/l] yet.
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

The U.S. Army Band "Pershing's Own" just posted an announcement for this euphonium opening.

Euphonium, The U.S. Army Ceremonial Band

Euphonium,

The U.S. Army Ceremonial Band RESUME AND FULL-LENGTH PHOTO DEADLINE: Monday, August 9, 2010. AUDITION DATE: The preliminary round will be held on Wednesday, September 1, 2010 with the semi-final and final rounds on Thursday, September 2, 2010. The United States Army Band "Pershing's Own," the U.S. Army's premier musical organization, announces a vacancy for Euphonium with The U.S. Army Ceremonial Band.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

For those not familiar with the structure, keep in mind that this job is primarily a ceremonial position. It's not very much of a concert opportunity in and of itself.

However, this band is sometimes a pathway into the Army concert band. Also, when they choose to do a brass band performance (British-style) most of the players come from the ceremonial band.

Typically the ceremonial band has a good deal of free time, and many members find good playing satisfaction doing private gigs. Some friend even were able to be ushers at Kennedy Center, which was a great opportunity to hear fine music for free (and get paid for it). This was somewhat more possible with the ceremonial band because most of their responsibilities were daytime.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• GregEuphonium
        • Jun 2007

US Army Band,

One other important thing to remember with the ceremonial band... This is the unit that will primarily be playing ceremonies and funerals at Arlington. Which means standing at attention or parade rest with your horn for a few hours at a time, and sometimes doing this multiple times a day. If that isn't really your sort of thing or you think you wouldn't be comfortable doing that then this might not be the job for you.
        Gregory E. Lopes
        Euphonium player
        US Navy Band Great Lakes
        US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

Comment

• Dean
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by: GregEuphonium Which means standing at attention or parade rest with your horn for a few hours at a time, and sometimes doing this multiple times a day.

This is a HUGE exaggeration, and I think I need to bring it to light!  We do not stand still for "hours at a time," at least certainly not on any regular basis.  A full honor funeral can occupy, at most, 2 hours of our time (the average is 60-70 minutes--some are as short as 45). The very hardest/longest days can be hard--such as inaugural parades, but those only come once every 4 years (and, by the way, the inaugural band is so big there are many from the concert band and blues that march as well).  

Keep in mind, a good portion of that time is down-time--we have plenty of time to stand around and chat before we have to get on the dot and tighten up.  I'd say the actual percentage of "locked-up" time (when we are standing at parade rest, attention, or marching) is about 40-70% of the total time we are engaged to be there.  This does vary based on the type of job.

I didn't want anyone to think we are standing still like sentinels (occasionally playing, perhaps) for 4-8 hours a day--no where near that!!

If anyone has any questions about the job, feel free to ask here or send me a PM.

SSG Dean Miller

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Thanks for the extra perspective, Dean. I should have also pointed out that one is not immune from playing ceremonial gigs just by being a member of a concert band. They all do it sometimes.

Then again, I remember playing a Coast Guard Band ceremony at NYC's City Hall at noon in the hot sun. Just across from us was the N.Y Philharmonic cooking in the same sun. (It's probably relatively rare for them, though!)

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• tspencer
              • Jul 2010

What exactly do they want in the "Full Length Photo"?

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

They want to make sure you are within the physical parameters that would let the Army enlist you. For example, if you are very overweight, the photo would show that. If you weight is well beyond their limit, I suppose it's possible they would suggest you do not audition (but I have not actually heard of them taking such an action, although I probably would not have heard in any case).

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• tspencer
                  • Jul 2010

Yes, that makes sense.

So then what should the dress be like? A shirt and tie? Full concert dress? With/without your horn?

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by: tspencerSo then what should the dress be like? A shirt and tie? Full concert dress? With/without your horn?
                    I would wear the same type of clothing that I would wear to an interview to this job. It's a professional gig, so dress professionally. No sweat shirt, wear a real shirt (not a t-shirt). If you have a nice shot of you in a performance attire, that's a good choice, but it's probably not a full-length shot. So men would wear at least a dress-type shirt and slacks (a tie is a nice touch). If you are really in good shape, that would be fine. If you look a little, um, dumpy, then wear a suit/sport coat, too, because you will look sharper.

That's the general idea, anyway. If it were me, I would want to create the following impressions:

This guy is physically fitThis guy understands professionalismThis guy will be comfortable within the military environmentThe latter two are not the main purpose of the photo, but I like making a subliminal impression that's positive.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• DelVento
                      • Aug 2007

US Army Band,

If nobody has heard, Chris Buckley, former longtime student of Dr. B won the audition.

Comment

Working...
                      X