Thread: bright mouthpiece, dark horn- dark mouthpiece, bright horn

1. bright mouthpiece, dark horn- dark mouthpiece, bright horn

I know the certain horns play better with certain mouthpieces. For example, the I feel that the Yamaha's respond better to the SM4 that the 4AL. I also think the Besson New Standard I used to play responded better to the 4AL than the SM4. Is this just a matter of personal preference, or is there some hard evidence to support this claim?

bright mouthpiece, dark horn- dark mouthpiece, bright horn

I think you're doing like we all do at one point with these things.....thinking too much.

Your sound is your sound!

3. bright mouthpiece, dark horn- dark mouthpiece, bright horn

I analyze everything. I am very interested in the acoustics of wind instruments and I wanted to know about how this works. Thanks for the advice, though. By the way, congrats on the ITEC All-Star award. Do you know Karla Romero? She is a great euphonium player at Texas Tech.

4. bright mouthpiece, dark horn- dark mouthpiece, bright horn

Euphos456,

It is my experience that the Yamaha 642 works better with the SM4 for me. When I play a 4AL (my usual piece) on a Yamaha, I sound too "bright". However, the Besson sounds bestter with the 4AL. I use the 4AL on my Prestige 2051 but use an Alliance 3 on my 300mm Sterling. Each horn gets its best sound (with me playing) with those choices. My Besson sounds "dead" with the SM4 and a bit harsh with the Alliance. The Sterling doesn't resonate as well and doesnt get the same wonderful dark choclatey sound with the 4AL as it does with the ALliance 3. The new SM4U is a different beast altogether. It is the only mouthpiece that allows me to switch between the Sterling and Prestige with no adverse effects. It works well with both horns, but not quite as well as the Alliance on my Sterling or the 4AL on my Besson.

By the way, I met Karla Romero two summers ago at Mike Milnarik's Cospmopolitan Tuba and Euphonium Workshop. She is quite an energetic and talented young euphonium player.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

bright mouthpiece, dark horn- dark mouthpiece, bright horn

Well the first problem with all this analysis is that you're using "dark" and "bright" to describe timbre.

But as to the evidence that you're looking for....make up you're own mind and you'll be fine really. Over-analyzing is one thing, but getting in the practice room and working your tail off is what will make you a better musician.

Yeah, Karla's a great player and quite the personality!!