• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DelVento
    • Aug 2007

"First Concerto"

Hey all,

I know that the Horovitz is touted as the first full-scale concerto for euphonium.....

but recently I checked the back of my Barry Kilpatrick CD and noticed that Alec Wilder's Concerto for Euphonium and Wind Orchestra was performed, and it was listed as being composed in 1971.....anyone doing the math???

-John
  • pgiampi1
    • Apr 2008

"First Concerto"

You're right that the dates don't line up quite right. I've always thought of the Horovitz concerto that, though it being such an early concerto for euphonium, it was just as significant for being particularly accessible in the way it was written. The fourth valve is not "required" at any point in the work (not all horns had four valves at this point), and if you've ever noticed, many of the most difficult passages are preceded by a change to a slightly slower tempo (I admit that I fully realized this after re-reading Steven Mead's article on preparing this piece (http://euphonium.net/articles....paring-47857)).

Keep in mind as well that the British/European style of euphonium was virtually non-existent in the United States until 1939, but it was prominent in Britain much earlier than that. Therefore, I would have to think that a euphonium concerto coming out of England was going to have much more clout than one coming out of the US. It was also written as part of a national brass band competition by a composer that was decently known in Britain.

The fact that the Horovitz is given more prominence, and maybe as a result credited as the first euphonium concerto, ultimately has to do with how well it is written. Is it also possible that, though the Wilder was written in '71, it was not played until later on? I know that doesn't make its date of composition any later, but it could explain why we knew about the Horovitz sooner.

Comment

• JTJ
      • Nov 2005

"First Concerto"

I looked up the Wilder quickly and it seems to be a rental, which makes it much less accessible and thus played much less:

http://www.schirmer.com/Defaul...rkId_2874=34441

Whereas the Horovitz has been recorded many times by different players and can be bought for not very much money in piano reduction.

Plus, until recently, the UK has been the center of the euphonium world and their composers and performers have dominated the mindshare which has grown up around the instrument, especially since the web has introduced so many to the possibilities of the euph as a solo instrument.

But I think that is shifting and the American composers and solo performers growing out of the American conservatory/studio tradition, yet infused with a strong grounding in the UK brass band tradition, may take the instrument to the next level (if only by virtue of sheer numbers).

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

"First Concerto"

Perhaps the Horovitz was the first PUBLISHED concerto. Suppose I told you I had written a euphonium concerto while I was in high school, which was never published. That predates either the Wilder or Horivitz. Do I win the prize, then? I say this to bring up the issue of works that have never been published, but may have a claim to being the first "written" concerto.

There was one written in 1928 by Noble Howard, although details are sketchy. Here is the listing. (From the Euphonium Music Guide)

Also, Rule Beasley wrote a concerto in 1967, which I don't believe has been published.

But we should not forget Hovhaness' Concerto No. 3 ("Diran, the Religious Singer"), which was written in 1948 for euphonium and orchestra.

And should we consider Concerto per Flicorno Basso (1872) by Amilcare Ponchielli? One could argue that it was written for a close relative of the euphonium, but that may be a stretch for this discussion.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• JTJ
          • Nov 2005

"First Concerto"

Did not know about the Hovhaness Concerto. Here's the 3rd movement played beautifully on bass trombone. Would love to hear it on euphonium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...THMQ7Q&feature=related

Comment

• knuxie
            • Dec 2005

"First Concerto"

The Ponchielli has been laid claim by both trumpeters and euphoniumists, as I see both sides announcing performances on various recitals.

I'd be curious as to the first concerto written for the modern euphonium, i.e. one that employs all the techniques that use the euphonium at it's fullest capability. The Ponchielli could be played by any valved or unvalved instrument (trombone, flute, clarinet, etc.). What about the concerti that could ONLY be played effectively on euphonium?

Ken F.

Comment

• pgiampi1
              • Apr 2008

"First Concerto"

It's not a "concerto" but the Jan Bach Concert Variations sort of fits that bill. Oddly enough, it comes just a few years after the Horovitz. The 70s were a big decade for euphonium repertoire.

Comment

• fsung
                • Feb 2008

"First Concerto"

Originally posted by: knuxie
                I'd be curious as to the first concerto written for the modern euphonium, i.e. one that employs all the techniques that use the euphonium at it's fullest capability. The Ponchielli could be played by any valved or unvalved instrument (trombone, flute, clarinet, etc.). What about the concerti that could ONLY be played effectively on euphonium?.
                Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but, in theory, anything that could be played on a euph could be played at pitch on an F tuba, a Bb or F Wagner Tuba, or a valve trombone, for example, or even a Bb or C bass trumpet. The sonorities would be somewhat different, but are there any techniques specific to euphonium that could not be executed on any of those instruments?

Comment

• knuxie
                  • Dec 2005

"First Concerto"

Now there's a question for the experts.

Ken F.

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

"First Concerto"

Originally posted by: fsung...but are there any techniques specific to euphonium that could not be executed on any of those instruments?
                    How about sounding really, really pretty?

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• blueeuph
                      • Feb 2006

"First Concerto"

Originally posted by: JTJ

Did not know about the Hovhaness Concerto. Here's the 3rd movement played beautifully on bass trombone. Would love to hear it on euphonium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...THMQ7Q&feature=related
                      I played the Hovhaness Concerto with a string quartet for my senior university recital. Its pretty good but I wouldn't call it a true concerto per say. Its more of a chamber music piece more then anything. The 2nd movement "Aria" can be rewritten for euphonium and piano / organ.

I have a recording of Dr. Paul Droste playing the Gloria at The International Music Camp 4 years ago I think it is. As you would imagine, it sounds much better on euphonium vs trombone or horn.

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

Just adding to the discussion as I responded on FB to someone. A consideration is the Douglas Townsend Chamber Concerto No. 2 for Euphonium and Orchestra. 1965.
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• davewerden
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2005

Here is a listing of pieces in my Euphonium Music Guide's database:

Composer || Title || Publisher || PubYear || Comments

Howard, Noble H. || Concerto for Euphonium || NULL || 1928 ||

Hovhaness, Alan || Concerto No.3 || Robert King Music. || 1948 ||

Townsend, Douglas || Concerto - Chamber Concerto No.2 || Theodore Presser Co. || 1965 ||

Townsend, Douglas || Concerto - Chamber Concerto No.2 || Mercury Music. || 1965 || Eu.,Str. Quartet

Townsend, Douglas || Concerto - Chamber Concerto No.2 || Theodore Presser Co. || 1965 || Long, three movement atonal composition.

Beasley, Rule || Concerto for Euphonium and Orchestra || Rule Beasley. || 1967 ||

Horovitz, Joseph || Concerto for Euphonium || Novello & Co. Ltd. || 1972 ||

Horovitz, Joseph || Concerto for Euphonium || NULL || 1972 || Piano reduction

Horovitz, Joseph || Concerto for Euphonium || NULL || 1976 || BRASS BAND

Golland, John || Concerto || _Publisher is not in this list_ || 1984 ||
                          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                          Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• Snorlax
                            • Mar 2007

Dave,
                            Noble Howard was an Indianapolis institution. He played viola (IIRC) in the Indianapolis Symphony
                            but was an avid euphonium player.
                            Several years ago, I was allowed to use his double-bell euphonium to solo with the Indiana Wind Symphony--I believe it was at the GABBF or some outdoor venue in Indy, but don't quote me on that.
                            It was kept in storage at a Shrine in Indianapolis, and went immediately back as soon as I was done with it,
                            and has not been played since AFAIK.

I'll contact a conductor friend who is very knowledgeable about these matters & see what he knows about Noble Howard as a composer.
                            Jim
                            Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
                            Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
                            bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
                            Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
                            Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
                            Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
                            www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• Snorlax
                              • Mar 2007

Also--having performed the first and third movements of the Townsend Chamber Concerto, it is hardly atonal. In fact, it's got some real catchy tunes in it and some humor in the last movement.
                              The second movement is "interesting," and my instructor at the time agreed it didn't need to be performed (at least by me.)
                              Jim
                              Last edited by Snorlax; 11-01-2020, 02:35 PM.
                              Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
                              Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
                              bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
                              Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
                              Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
                              Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
                              www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

Working...
                              X