X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brownhunter
    • Apr 2010

3+1: index or middle finger

Hey everyone,Loving my new horn... first 3+1 horn I've had.Question to you all, which finger do you use to for the +1? I'm finding more comfort and reach with my middle finger. Just curious.
  • daruby
    • Apr 2006

On my Besson and Sterling euphoniums, I use my index finger. On my York baritone, the 4th valve is more horizontal, so I use my middle finger.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Comment

• jjk2211
      • Oct 2009

On my Besson Prestige 2052 I use my index finger... but I honestly think it's personal preference...

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Since it's all new to you, I suggest trying both and seeing which one puts the least strain on your arm and wrist. As you can see from Doug's answer, people an use either one. I always use the index finger myself, but after some finger surgery last year I had to use the 2nd finger for a while and that was OK, too.

Try it both standing and sitting and see which way gives you the best advantage.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• warumtobendieheiden
          • May 2008

This is pretty far down on my List Of What Matters in euphonium playing, inasmuch as I never even noticed what finger I use for the 4th valve! So I checked it out and found that I use the 4th finger -- that's right, the ring finger of my left hand.

I guess I do so because it gives me more leverage to support the instrument in its off-vertical tilt. But if anyone has any psychological interpretations, bring 'em on ...

Comment

• RickF
            • Jan 2006

Well I'm no expert but I say use what ever finger works the best for you.

On my present horn (YEP-641) I use my index finger for the 4th valve. As I got used to standing to play my horn, I found my second finger wrapping under the 4th valve casing some to help support the weight of the horn. That's what works best for me and the design (ergonomics) of the Yamaha.
            Rick Floyd
            Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
            Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
            The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
            Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)
            ​

Comment

• blueeuph
              • Feb 2006

On a yahama 621 baritone I used for the Brass Band session at the International Music Camp the one year, you had to use the middle finger just the way the 4th valve is situated. That might be the case on all 4 valve baritones *any brass band people can around to verify this*. On my Besson and every 4 valve compensating euph. I played on, I just use my index finger and had no real problems.

Comment

• daruby
                • Apr 2006

The new Besson 2056 Prestige baritone has a more angled 4th valve so you can use the index finger, but the Yamaha 621, York 3056 and older Besson 956 have a 4th valve that is more horizontal.

Doug
                Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                Concord Band
                Winchendon Winds
                Townsend Military Band

Comment

• jnfjsf
                  • Mar 2010

On my '74 Besson New Standard, I've been using the middle finger, it seems more comfortable because the hand needs to be a little higher up on the valve block... the location of the lyre holder was digging into my hand, the middle finger places my hand in better position to avoid the lyre holder. I may just have the little bugger removed...

Comment

• uieuph
                    • Dec 2005

I long used my index finger until I started developing pain at the base. I had to relearn using the middle finger for the 4th valve. I'm not sure if one can tell by practice any tension that may occur with either finger before problems occur.

Comment

• walldaja
                      • Apr 2010

I assume we're talking left hand?

Comment

Working...
                      X