Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vibrations in my Besson Prestige

Vibrations in my Besson Prestige

I've never used Hetman's 15, but that sounds like it might work.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Het_15.jpg  
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Hi. I recently (about 2 months ago) bought a new Besson Prestige euphonium.
    I have noticed some buzzing on a few notes. The strange thing is that the notes which buzz have changed. To start with it was a concert D flat that was the worst. Now that note is fine but I hear it on the concert Bb and A in the middle range.
    Sometimes its fine and there is no obvious buzz.
    I have tried some thick grease on all the tuning slides and oil on the connections.
    I feel that it might be to do with the valve springs but they appear to be sitting correctly etc so I'm not sure what I can do.
    The buzzing notes are still varying,slowly.
    Perhaps it will go away once I have played the instrument enough?

I'd welcome any further ideas.

Thanks,

Gary.

Hey Gary.

Have you thought to call Besson or the local reseller you purchased from (if you did buy from a local reseller…this is the added value they are supposed to bring to the table… working through issues just like this.)
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Basically, any two pieces can vibrate and make noise if the fit/lubrication/etc. is not correct.

It can help to have someone tough various points on the horn to see if trigger linkage, lyre screws, 4th-valve lock, or other visible parts are causing it. A lyre screw can just be tightened. Moving parts can usually be lubed to stop the noise.

Make sure all 8 of the top/bottom valve caps are tight (but don't over tighten them).

Springs can be an issue if they are not parallel to the walls of the casing. Take them all out, tape the pistons in place if they need to be up, and then play your problems notes. If the buzz is gone, then stand all the springs up on a hard surface to see if they stand straight. If so, turn each one over to check the other ends. If they are not straight, get a new set of Mead springs.

Sometimes the bell rim bead wire can vibrate. Some models solder them in place; others leave them held by the bead wrap only. A really good tech can tighten the bead if it is not soldered. If it is soldered, but still causing noise, the solder may not have made it to all parts of the wire. I don't know if Besson solders theirs - does anyone know? (Adams solders the bead on sterling silver bells now and have always soldered the E2 beads. Shires 2 models in the Q series are the same, with one soldered and one not.)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hi Gary, I think Dave's advice is on point. One thing I can think of: Do you always get this buzz in the same room? Or is it always present, no matter where you are playing? I find that when I practice at home I get several buzzing noises, that can appear to come from the bell of the instrument, but actually aren't.

6. Copper pipes like to sing along when I practice… can you play it outside? See if the same happens to try and eliminate the environment you’re in.

you could also take all the springs out of the valves then blow through it on the suspect notes to eliminate spring issues…..

I had this from new with one of my German made Prestigesz. It was a horrendous vibration on notes between middle D and bottom Db. Could never isolate what it was - false piece, bell wire, and all stays were checked and found to be ok. I eventually took it to the British Open in September 2008 in Birmingham so Steven Mead could test it in the presence of Werner from Besson. He had an extensive play of it, and agreed that there was something seriously amiss, and even with me playing it and four people holding various bits of the instrument, the vibration was never found, and the instrument was replaced under warranty. It did help that I was working for one of Besson’s biggest suppliers.

I would have liked to have found out what it was.

I have also found that Slideomix Rapid Comfort works supremely well on main tuning slide triggers, and can report it is making the trigger on the E2 a positive delight to use.
    Nowt

Retired

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12