Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone played the Jupiter 1270 XO Comp Euph?

1. Has anyone played the Jupiter 1270 XO Comp Euph?

Musicians Friend is advertising a new item:
    Jupiter 1270 XO Series Compensating EuphoniumThis XO Series euphonium is designed to meet the performance needs of the pro-level player. The 1270 features a graduated bore with a compensating...

New Product!

<!-- -->Buy New: $3,940.00 - $4,205.00

Has anyone here played this Euph? Is so I'd like to hear your thoughts about it.

Has anyone played the Jupiter 1270 XO Comp Euph?

Our schools instrument rep is a Jupiter and Yamaha dealer, I'll see if I can get one for a few weeks, I imagine knowing Jupiter's other brass instruments it will match up nicely in the Schiller/Dillon/Weril/Nirschl tier of Comp Euphs. All of which are fine horns in their own right...

3. Has anyone played the Jupiter 1270 XO Comp Euph?

I had a chance to play a few notes on one of the new Jupiter compensating euphoniums at NABBA last week. This horn looks VERY much like the Schiller, etc. compensating horn right down to the copper colored leadpipe. It did have nice trim though with gold plated stems, valve caps, and water catcher. I cannot give anything like a definitive review, but the horn seemed to play well enough with a nice open sound and no glaring response issues. The position of the leadpipe was not very good, however. It is shorter than some and puts the bell right in the performers face.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I spent about 10 min trying the one at the Dillon Music stand at TUSABTEC back in Jan, and got another look at NABBA this past weekend.

My impression was that it's a "Me Too" horn (and an overpriced one at that). While it was no worse than the other stencil comp euphs on display at TUSABTEC or that I've tried elsewhere. I could find nothing about the build quality, sound, slotting, intonation, or response to justify the $1200-1500 price premium compared to other stencils: indeed, I thought the Dillon and one of the Gemstone models were easier and more open in the upper register.

I'm still trying to figure out who the intended market for XO is (assuming that there is one) or what the chief selling point is, other than the fact that it's not "Chinese" (even though most of KHS' (Jupiter's parent company) brasswinds are mfg'd in their Chinese plant.) Given that one could buy TWO silver Tuba Exchange 1150s ($1995) for less than the $4205 asking price for the silver Jupiter (MSRP $5845), or a silver Dillon (with the now ubiquitous gold highlight package, $2295) or W. Nirschl (2395) AND a lacquer Schiller ($885), or FOUR Schillers for less than the $3940 asking price of the lacquer Jupiter (MSRP $5400), it cannot be considered a budget horn; OTOH, given the middling build quality and undistinguished sound, it is by no stretch a premium horn, either.

I can't speak on the compensating Jupiter, but I have spent quite a few hours on the Jupiter 570, the 3 plus 1 non comp. The intonation of the Jupiter was not too good. It had a note or two that was unmanageable. I hope the compensating model is better.

Do you really think Jupiter is actually a stencil horn? It is its own company. They do make horns for several american companies, but they don't make anything that looks too similar to their own product. My impression is that they will be Yamaha's major competitor in the school horn market.

I am not saying they are a professional level horn, but they are not "Stencil" horns.

I just pulled up the Jupiter website and the Jim Laab site and did a side by side of the two compensators. They are completely different in design. Look at the bracing, bottom tubing, joints, bands, and bell size.

Maybe they are both nice horns though.

Jupiter is a company very much on the rise, both in quality and reputation. As it stands though their product line remains very inconistent through it's divisions.

Jupiter's Saxophones have already reached the top of the market, their trumpets, clarinets and flutes are "pretty close" They have actually come out with a new trumpet in the last year that is getting quite a lot of positive attention the 1600I Roger Ingram model. Their Low Brass stuff though is still "not quite there"

I'm a big fan of Jupiter, but I wouldn't buy their comp Euphonium when for the price I can get almost any other Horn on the Market. I bought a Schiller because it suited my needs, is a really solid horn, and was dirt cheap. I'm sure the Jupiter is a solid horn as well, but if you are going to charge a premium price, there is an expectation of premium quality. The Jupiter Comp Euph "isn't there yet"

9. Has anyone played the Jupiter 1270 XO Comp Euph?

I can't resist the urge to get in line to bash the Jupiter euphoniums. I played on a 3+1 non-compensating model 570 for three weeks during a trip to Germany. It was awful. The horn, not the trip. It was very hard to get the horn to speak responsively in any register. I suspect that the leadpipe design was the culprit.

I would hope that the new compensating model is better. It certainly would need to be, given the ferocity of the competition among manufacturers.

Originally posted by: warumtobendieheiden I can't resist the urge to get in line to bash the Jupiter euphoniums. I played on a 3+1 non-compensating model 570 for three weeks during a trip to Germany. It was awful. The horn, not the trip. It was very hard to get the horn to speak responsively in any register. I suspect that the leadpipe design was the culprit. I would hope that the new compensating model is better. It certainly would need to be, given the ferocity of the competition among manufacturers.
    I made the mistake of renting a Jupiter non-comp euph back in 2003, as I was traveling at the time and could not bring my own horn.

Tinny, light, fragile, and completely and totally useless are words that come to mind - along with abysmal slotting, intonation, and every other aspect you can think of. The experience was so bad I won't even touch a Jupiter much less try one out.

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast