Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Cleaning Your Horn

Really Cleaning Out Your Horn

Now and then you have to get serious about cleaning out your euphonium or tuba. It's not easy, because there are a lot of tubes and, in the case of compensating horns, a lot of corners and bends that are hard to get to. Here is my process. Note that I am describing the process for piston valve horns. You may want to adjust some of the steps if you have rotary valves.

The first step is to power-flush as much as you can out of the horn. You need a warm day for this. Take your horn outside where the garden hose is. Then dump a bunch of dishwashing soap down the bell. Wrap enough cloth around the end of the hose to make a seal about a foot down into the bell. When you have crammed the hose into the bell, turn the water on. The idea is to force the water through under pressure until it comes out the leadpipe (it should shoot out pretty well if you seal the bell-end correctly). As soon as the water comes out the other end, press down all the valves so the water/soap is forced through their tubes as well. This will stop the flow out of the leadpipe for a second. As soon as it flows out again, remove the hose. You want to leave as much soapy water in the horn as you can. If you let the water run too long the soap flushes out. Then lay the horn down and let the soap soak in a bit.

Then you want two plastic buckets or tubs, one filled with soapy water and one with clean water. After the horn has soaked for 15-30 minutes, put the hose back in the bell and rinse it out, remembering to press the valves to get the water through all the tubes. When you are convinced it is clear of soap, turn off the water and start to take the horn apart. Put all the metal parts into the bucket of soapy water. If there are any foam rubber bumpers inside the valves, put them in a cup to keep track of them. Also put any felt washers into the cup. For your valve pistons, unscrew the top button and remove it. There is probably a felt washer inside, which goes into the cup. Then take off the top cap. Under it there should be a felt washer, foam washer, cork bumper, or some other bumper. Remove it and place it in the cup. For horns that use a silicone bumper, that can go in the soapy water.

I have a couple of cleaning snakes that I use next. I take out each valve slide from the water and run the snake through it. After that I use the hose to force a stream of high pressure water through the tube. Then put the part in the pail of clean water. As much as possible, do this will all the parts. You should also run the end of the snake through each valve port. Be careful as you rinse those out because the water may follow a curve and come right back at you!

Once all this is done, I dump out the soapy water and rinse that bucket. The shake out each part and place it in the dry bucket. Then I take it all inside and prepare to reassemble the horn.

If the inner tuning slide tubes (that part that is hidden when you insert the slide into the horn) do not look smooth and shiny, you should use a little mild metal polish like Simichrome on them. Use slide grease (I prefer synthetic) and put all the slides in. Replace the bottom valve caps, but first put the slightest amount of grease on the threads so they don't freeze later. Insert the springs and oil and replace the valves. If the surface of the valves looks dirty or rough, try a little of the mild metal polish there as well. You should also make sure the top and bottom edges of the valve pistons are clean. Sometimes they can become grimy or corroded. Gently scrape off any residue that is there using a plastic scraper or even a wooden craft stick.

If your felt washers/bumpers have become compressed, try to find replacements. If you can not conveniently, then wash them as well. But do not squeeze them to dry them. Just set them on a paper towel for a day until they are dry. Otherwise you may cause them to compress and lose some of their softness.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Really Cleaning Your Horn

Excellent write-up Dave for cleaning out one's horn. I've never tried using the hose wrapped with a rag or towel to force water through. Makes sense.

I have found some good brushes and snakes that can be used wet or dry called, 'Brass Savers' by the same company that makes the pad savers for wood wind instruments - "HW Products".

I have the baritone, trumpet and trombone set. They're safe to use in that there are no exposed metal ends or wire. The snakes have this curly-cue design that exerts some pressure on the inside of the slides as you pull it through to help clean them. The brush has two ends (small and large ) for cleaning the ports of the valves and the valve casings. I use the brush dry sometimes for spot cleaning and then re-oiling.

H.W. Products Inc.

[Editor's Note: you can click these links to Amazon for either the Tuba Version or the Trombone version]

Baritone/euphonium version here: Baritone/euphonium version

These sets are around $15 to $17. They're available at Amazon.com and Dillons music.

Last edited by RickF; 05-29-2023 at 01:52 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Really Cleaning Out Your Horn

I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner... very quick, very effective

Originally posted by: prototypedenNIS

I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner... very quick, very effective
    denNIS: Can I assume this is a shop-sized machine (i.e. something large enough to hold your whole horn)? I'm guessing this is not something a hobbiest is likely to own(?).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

5. Really Cleaning Out Your Horn

There was a guy on the trombone.org forum who attacked the horn from the other direction. He soldered a garden hose connector to a mouthpiece shank, so the full force of the water pressure could go in through the leadpipe.

Originally posted by: SteveMcGovern

There was a guy on the trombone.org forum who attacked the horn from the other direction. He soldered a garden hose connector to a mouthpiece shank, so the full force of the water pressure could go in through the leadpipe.
    I'm sure that would work. The reason I like going the other way is that it causes an increase in pressure as the water goes through the horn (because the diameter is getting smaller). I thought it might flush it better, but I haven't tested it both ways.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

7. Really Cleaning Out Your Horn

I have used the bathtub for my euphonium and baritone. I usually used dishwashing detergent and let the horn soak until the hot water turned cold. This would be rather difficult for a tuba/sousaphone unless you used your local hot-tub.
    Of course the untrasonic cleaner would be great. Must be awfully large to accomodate a lower brass instrument!

Originally posted by: peternotar

I have used the bathtub for my euphonium and baritone.
    The bathtub is a good idea, but cleaning the horn there can leave a pretty greasy ring around the tub, which is why I chose the other method. However, it might be more convenient to use the bathtub. If you choose this way, I would still suggest doing the hose flush first. It will help to clean out some of the small inner curves that you might not be able to get to even after the horn is disassembled.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

9. Really Cleaning Out Your Horn

for $60 I think it's pretty reasonable to visit a decent repair shop. Plus we might be able to spot some problems you may not have noticed. A solder in time, save large dent work...

your idea does seem to be very good as an alternative to getting your horn professionally cleaned though.

MIght I suggest a way to dry off the horn well and quickly... air comporessor with a spray nozzle.

I agree with the force into the bell aside from the leadpipe, this should be done when using an air compressor as well, but if you'd like to see why going through the leadpipe doesn't work, give it a try.

10. Really Cleaning Out Your Horn

I use the "hot tub" method except that I pour a cup of Simple Green in the hot water. Doesn't hurt the horn's silver finish and REALLY cleans out the horn. And the Simple Green helps remove the greasy ring around the tub. If it doesn't, my wife cleans the tub out for me, after she quits hollering at me.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast