Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Cleaning Your Horn

Really Cleaning Out Your Horn

Hi Angelo,

Not sure what model horn you have. Maybe a King 2280? If the spring can be removed - and reattached easily, I would do that.

Hope this helps.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

2. Really Cleaning Out Your Horn

The spring on the King 2280's is a bit difficult to remove and reattach. However, the old King 2280 spring removal tool can easily be manufactured out of a paper clip (make a hook to pull the spring loose and reattach it). I have done this several times. Once when I was cleaning a silver 2280 in the hot tub at a hotel in Michigan!

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

3. Really Cleaning Out Your Horn

It's actually a Bach B1110, know anything about that one?

Hi Pam,

Cold water won't harm lacquer. Warm water is OK too -- but no warmer than baby bath warm. I use my elbow to test the water temperature, as I remember seeing the wife do when bathing the children.

The towel wrapped reverse flush is a good method. I used to reverse-flush the car cooling system the same way. I wonder what the neighbors will think when they see me out in the yard flushing a baritone horn?!

Maybe I'll invite them over and try the old squirting flower trick times 10.

5. Really Cleaning Out Your Horn

I have a Yamaha euphonium which is about 12 months old. I regularly use oil, but the valves are getting a bit sluggish. Any suggestions for cleaning them properly?

Originally posted by: Granville

I have a Yamaha euphonium which is about 12 months old. I regularly use oil, but the valves are getting a bit sluggish. Any suggestions for cleaning them properly?
    Please see the thread Sticky Valve on Yamaha 642 for suggestions.

7. Really Cleaning Out Your Horn

There are 2 Bach 1110's

If your's says Bach USA on the Bell and Made in Japan on the valve casigs, you have a Yamaha 321 branded as a Bach.

If you have a push ring on your third valve slide, you have a King 2280.

Spring Cleaning

My choice of activities last night were to either finish my income taxes or give the '79 B&H Imperial a bath and some upgrades. I opted for horn maintenance.

It is amazing and disgusting to watch all the green, black, and gray glop that floated up in the tub. This was the first cleaning for this horn in over 18 months, which was waaay too long. I have been practicing on a microbe and mold farm science project.

After the rinse cycle, I polished with Hegarty's. This is the best time to get into all the tight spots while the hardware is removed around the valve block. Then a final cold water rinse and wipedown for any polish residue. Q-tips are handy for both applying and removing the leftover polish in the nooks. I can now see what the satin silver finish is supposed to look like.

Then I installed a complete set of new springs, spring dampers, soft stops, and felts. These parts were ordered several months ago from Windcraft. The folks at Windcraft were very helpful in providing the correct part numbers for the Imperial. Everything fit perfectly.

It is almost like having a new horn. Over time, you don't notice the gradual increase in stuffiness, but the difference in quite significant. The horn did not have spring dampers when I bought it, and adding the dampers is a major improvement, especially for the fourth valve action, which had been quite noisy.

Bruce H Ward
    Houston TX

Besson BE2056-2 4-Valve Compensating Baritone
    1946 Conn 30-I Wonderphone 5-Valve Double-bell

Spring Cleaning

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a spring damper and is that part readily available?

Thanks...

10. Spring Cleaning

Spring dampeners are a part that's added to dampen vibrations (buzzing) of springs.

Some companies use them, some don't. They're not really a necessity, but can help if you have the wrong springs, old springs, or damaged springs to make less noise.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast