Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adams

Adams

Went by the Tuba Exchange a couple of days ago and played their two Adams euphoniums, the gold brass and the sterling silver belled horns. Did not do anything quantitative, just qualitative, playing them to see what I thought and felt.

I liked both, but I really liked the sterling silver bell. It produced a big, deeply felt resonance, with a broad euphonium sound unlike any other I've played. The sound is in the euphonium camp, nothing radical, it's just a different mix of fundamental + overtones that I am used to. For me, the sound was neutral on the bright/dark scale. The instrument is light, yes, but the silver bell offsets the lightness, and I do not think I have ever played an instrument which felt as resonant.

I am sure it has its weaknesses, but after playing the horn for a bit, I had to set it down, I was becoming fearful I might make an unplanned purchase....

John

Adams

Hey John, did these horns have the adjustable gap receivers? If so, did you notice much difference?

Based on your results, I would wager the one I tooted on in the elephant room last January did not contain the Sterling bell.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Adams

Scott, the Adams Custom at TUSABTEC had a silverplated yellow brass bell.

John, I'm also interested to know whether or not you noticed a difference due to the adjustable gap receiver, and whether they had a 4th valve lock (the one Custom Music had at TUSABTEC didn't, and the few pics showing the back that I've been able to track down don't show a lock either, so I'm curious whether that's an oversight or a feature.)

Adams

Felix, dude -- Yes, they had the adjustable gap receivers, but I did not play around with that feature. I just used it on the setting it was on, although it did seem that the mouthpiece went in farther than normal. And I did not check for a 4th valve lock (my bad). John S. took the horns out of their stands and oiled the valves before handing them to me, so I had no reason to unlock or lock them. And I was so taken with the sound that I did not look at them that closely.

I think I will take a return trip to really try and get the measure of the sterling silver bell. My hypothesis is that the lightness of the brass in combination with the warmth & darkness generally associated with sterling silver bells produces a unique sound and response.

In my first post, I spoke of the resonance of the sound -- there was also a subjective depth to the sound of the sterling bell which I have never experienced before.

John

5. Adams

Last week, I had the opportunity to spend a few hours at the Adams company in Ittervoort, the Netherlands. The store is huge (even compared to American standards), and is about the Garden of Eden for brass players and percussionists.

I was primarily looking for a new mp, but I had the chance to test the Adams Custom euphonium, which was very kindly made available by the people there who were otherwise very busy preparing for the German Musikmesse.

Although plagued by some lip damage caused by the freezing Dutch temperatures, it was a tremendous pleasure to play the Adams euphonium (I played the gold brass version). Extremely free-blowing from ppp up to fff, every single note accurate and centered, and a truly great overall sound. I played the Custom Adams in a large room (on the 1st floor), and the instrument had really the chance to develop its sound to its fullest extent. I was deeply impressed with the playability, and felt in love with the instrument from the very first note I played on it. It is indeed a very light instrument, even lighter than my non-compensated Besson 3+1 I think. The finish was impeccable with an eye for even the smallest detail, and the word 'Lexus' came frequently into my mind when handling the instrument. I only had some issues with the trigger as the tuning slide pushed against my belly when I used it, but I must admit that my belly could be part of the problem as well... But there was no trigger guard mounted on this euphonium which eliminates the belly problem, and this option is for sure available for the Custom Adams (the cheapest option however, is to eliminate the belly).

Next I played a triggered Besson 2052, and it really felt like a Besson should: a great sound with that typical Besson grunge, but not as free-blowing and not so easy with respect to the accuracy as the Adams. However, if you like the specific Besson sound, I think you will prefer this euphonium over the Custom Adams which latter sound is somewhat more neutral to my ears.

Finally I played a few notes on a Sterling Virtuoso that was just standing there looking at me (told you that this was Garden of Eden) and to me, this euphonium has the best of both worlds: free-blowing across the range and accurate as an Adams, yet sparkling as a Besson. Especially in the fortissimo range, this Sterling really develops an overwhelming sound that fills up every corner of the room, waw! Perfect for solo work I think, but it has maybe a little bit too much character to behave decently in a small ensemble.

Once downstairs and back to earth again, I saw a Besson 1065 (non-compensated 3+1) that was being tested, and I was really disappointed with the quality of the finish of this instrument. The soldering of the bell was straight ugly and the valves felt rude, what a setback compared to my older 'student' Besson765!

But everyone who has the opportunity to visit Adams Ittervoort (the Netherlands) or Adams Diest (Belgium), I can only advice to take your time and reserve a couple of hours (and lots of $$$!) to go there, it is really a marvelous place to shop and a unique opportunity to try and play some of the best euphoniums available on the market.

And for those who are interested in my selection of a new mouthpiece: I finally opted for a Denis Wick 5AL. Although sold as a trombone mp, it had a deeper and fuller sound on the Custom Adams than the 6AL and 4AL I tried (not only my observation, but also from a neutral musician that was with me). Back home I tested it on my BE765, and it seems to be a very good choice. My accuracy improved significantly, my lower range extended up to a pedal G, the sound of the euphonium is much sweeter compared to the standard but small Besson 5 mp, and fortunately my upper range did not suffer as much as I expected (and that for only 62 euro’s, what a bargain!).

Adams

At the recent ITEC 2010 in Tucson I had a chance to try several of the Adams euphoniums. They do indeed respond as well as everyone has said, and the intonation was really fine.

The do not use a 4th valve lock. In discussing the Mr. Adams, he said that simply attaching the lock's anchor would reduce the resonance of the sound, so they leave it off. He reports having zero reports of any damage because of this.

The cases they had at the show were the Brazilian MB case. The pads are ample, and when the horn is in the case the 4th valve is safely hanging in space with a safe distance (visually) to any surface around it. It sure seemed like it would be fine in that case with no 4th valve lock.

Fit and finish were dandy, and they had a nice variety of appearance among the various materials and finishes. There were no options other than material and finish as far as I could tell. But they make them with different thickness brass (3, I believe) and different alloys, in addition to the sterling silver bell option. I think the latter adds many hundreds to the selling price.

The adjustable-gap receiver makes a difference. I was having trouble testing one on the Claude Smith Rondo, which has several jumps over Bb octaves into the high range. I had trouble finding the high Bb. Mr. Adams was there and adjusted the gap. That cleared up the trouble immediately.

If you want to see photos of the receiver piece and also see a write-up of all the displays at ITEC, go to me blog with the link at the top of the page, or head directly to this post:

ITEC Vendors

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Adams

Hi,

Is tuba xchange the only place in the U.S. to try these? I was going to have a try on one at ITEC but I was there only for a couple of days and had a bad cold, so I thought blowing illness into a bunch of euphoniums would have been impolite to say the least!

Adams

Custom Music carries Adams, although they are not yet listed on their website. Give them a call and ask to speak to Jeff Rideout or Neal Campbell.

Adams

I actually just bought the sterling silver adams euphonium from Tuba Exchange, probably the one that you played. It should be getting to me in the next couple of days, I'll let you know how it goes.

Adams

Originally posted by: YOOF I actually just bought the sterling silver adams euphonium from Tuba Exchange, probably the one that you played. It should be getting to me in the next couple of days, I'll let you know how it goes.
    We're anxious to hear more! Did yours come with a case? I'd be curious which one.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast