Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P.E.T.E.

P.E.T.E.

Have any of you guys tried this?

P.E.T.E. - Personal Embouchure Training Exerciser

It seems to be a similar concept to what I heard from a Bob Childs masterclass at the Army Conference several years ago. He recommended using a pencil. I found that difficult to do as a pencil is very heavy, but in a lesson with Scott Shelsta, he recommended a far easier approach...using a Bic pen cap. That approach almost seems too easy for me. Perhaps this is a nice middle ground, or not? Opinions?
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

P.E.T.E.

I've devised my own versions - I took a fairly large button, 'threaded' the wire of a paper clip through the holes to extend about 2 inches. put the button between the lips and teeth and gently pull using the muscles of the lips to keep the button from poping out from the lips. The other exercise, I use a trumpet, some smaller euph mouthpieces - putting our head down putting the barrel between the lips holding it in place with only the lips.
    I have found these exercises do help.

3. P.E.T.E.

I bought one from Terry last summer at IEI, and haven't used it a ton, but can tell you that after using it for about 2 minutes, I can REALLY feel it in a way that I can't when just using a pencil. The key to it is the disc end, that in my opinion makes it more than just isometrics. Worth a try.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

P.E.T.E.

I bought a PETE at NABBA a few months ago. I used it some but have to remember to put it in my pocket so I can use it when driving.

Doesn't work too well in the desk drawer
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

P.E.T.E.

The Pencil thing works well, but if your pencil is too heavy use a smaller one, I have three different sizes sat by my computer ready to use....

I got a PETE a little while back and believe it has tightened my chops up well for the upper range, but best done at the end of the day or your chops are noticibly tierd when you are practicing.

The pulling excercise is good for me as I tend to roll my lips in as I play higher rather than just pushing them together, and this is a good exercise for this movement. However I hate the metal touching my front teeth, you can get a plastic one but then I presume the wieght will be too little for the 'pencil excercise'. The button on some string sounds a good way to do it too, but being perdantic (& possibly wrong!)- I wonder if it won't get you used to leaving a resonable apertuer for you air stream as the string will be thinner than the neck of the PETE.

The silver PETE which I have is a bit heavy for the 'Pencil Excercise' but Walburton suggest supporting it to compensate for the wieght.

I was scepticle but then thought why not it is handier than a pocket full of pencils and buttons! And it does strengthen your chops/ face muscles up, just don't over do it before playing. By the way I found it for sale for £24 from Thoman Cyberstore, a good reduction from anywhere else I could find them.

Dave
    Current Euphs:
    York Eminence
    Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp/ Globe)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Plus an attic of old classics in various states of repair!
    Previous Euphs:

Besson Prestige (German)
    Geneva Symphony
    Wilson 2900 with Eminence leadpipe
    Sterling Virtuoso (300 mm heavy red brass bell)
    Cortios 167 II
    'Gob Iron': Doug Elliott Euph 104 I 9s (plus a few others!)

P.E.T.E.

Recently started using these with very good results and will shortly be introducing them to my students.

The important thing is to make sure they are used properly, in small doses at first and well away from practice/band time to let the muscles rest, especially overnight.

Chas

P.E.T.E.

I recently started back into playing following a few years off. The first thing I noticed is that my stamina was poor and above top C was not as easy as it used to be. I also found I would always get air going between my lips in little pockets, obviously due to my embouchure being weak.

I had never tried using a pencil before but have been doing it for a week and I do feel like I am strengthening up. Obviously this is due to my regular practice but I feel the pencil is helping. After holding it for as long as I can I really feel the muscles having to work around my chin and by the corners but any tips for working the area above the top lip? Would the button idea or a PETE be best for this?

Also, could anyone post any pencil timings? eg how often a day you use it and roughly how long it can be held for? I am managing about a minute and a half before it can't be held any longer. I am doing it once or twice a day. Normally in the morning and doing my regular daily practice in the afternoon.

Thanks

P.E.T.E.

I picked one up from Terry at Midwest, and have used it daily. I highly recommend. I will be putting all of my students on this starting the spring semester.

Call me bias because Terry makes my mouthpiece, but I would recommend this to someone if that were not the case as well. Simple, yet very effective idea.
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

P.E.T.E.

The problem with them for me is that I keep mislaying mine, I've nearly forked out for a new one a couple of times now but found it just in time!
    Current Euphs:
    York Eminence
    Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp/ Globe)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Plus an attic of old classics in various states of repair!
    Previous Euphs:

Besson Prestige (German)
    Geneva Symphony
    Wilson 2900 with Eminence leadpipe
    Sterling Virtuoso (300 mm heavy red brass bell)
    Cortios 167 II
    'Gob Iron': Doug Elliott Euph 104 I 9s (plus a few others!)

P.E.T.E.

Darn...
    Wish I would have known you were at Midwest. I was there to do a computer lab presentation on Garritan software!!
    I keep my PETE in a desk drawer so I don't lose it!!
    Jim W.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast