Thread: Besson Sovereign 967 Euphonium

1. Besson Sovereign 967 Euphonium

Was this model made in England and Germany? If so, is one more desired than the other? (And does one usually cost more?)

Edited to add.... If one costs more, is it worth the extra money??

Thanks

2. Besson Sovereign 967 Euphonium

Please clarify. Are you talking about a new Besson Sovereign or a used one? The current generation of Bessons are made in Germany. Besson instruments prior to 2006ish would have been manufactured in England. Generally new instruments will cost more than used ones. Which is more desired? That is a matter of personal preference. I think quality control and consistency is much better with the German made Bessons. There is some sound variance between the older England made models and the new German made horns. I think the German made horns have a slightly "lighter" sound compared to the English made instruments.

3. Besson Sovereign 967 Euphonium

Sorry...

To clarify I am talking about a used horn. I have seen both, and some people state that their horn is more desired because of a certain type of stamp/engraving. Just wasn't sure if that was true, or just someone trying to talk up their horn.

Besson Sovereign 967 Euphonium

Hello!

I bought a Besson Prestige in December 2008, and the truth that the new Besson made in Germany are a little easier to sound than before.

Good luck on your choice!
    Jorge Estruch: Euphonium, trombone & tuba teacher/Euphonium player

Euph: Besson Prestige 2052-2
    Mpc: ​Denis Wick 4AL

Twitter: @jorgeuphonium
    Instagram: @jorge_estruch
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/JorgEuphonium

Some years of manufacturer are known to be better than others in general. That doesn't mean that a horn built during the "bad" years might not still be a great horn - it's just a matter of the odds.

If you post the year it was made or the serial number or other identifying characteristics, I'm sure we have folks on the forum who would tell you the trends at least.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Originally posted by: Texican

Was this model made in England and Germany?
    Yes.

The 967 Sovereign was introduced in 1973. Prior to 2001, they were made in England. From 2001-2004, they were assembled in England from parts manufactured under contract, primarily in Germany. In 2004, the new owner, The Music Group outsourced production to Schreiber-Keilworth, in Markneukirchen, Germany, where it remained until mid-2006, when Besson went into bankruptcy . Sovereigns mfg'd since the acquisition of the Besson brand and trademarks by Buffet Crampon in late 2006 are mfg'd in Germany.

If so, is one more desired than the other?
    By whom?

People who have played '70s to mid-'80s Sovereigns extensively generally think the sound of instruments of that vintage is richer than that of the more recent Sovereigns, but that responsiveness and intonation are not as good.

People who are willing to sacrifice a little in terms of responsiveness and intonation for the "classic" Besson sound generally prefer '70s-mid '80s Sovereigns; people who are willing to sacrifice a little in terms of sound for easier response and better intonation generally prefer more recent examples.

(And does one usually cost more?)
    In general, newer Sovereigns cost more than vintage Sovs by virtue of being newer (less wear, generally better mechanical and cosmetic condition).

If one costs more, is it worth the extra money??
    Is a used 3G iPod worth the extra money compared to a used 2G iPod?

If you prefer the "classic" Besson sound and can put up with the intonation issues of vintage 967s, then the price premium of a '90s-20xx isn't worth it; if you prefer the better intonation and generally easier response of recent Sovs, it is.

some people state that their horn is more desired because of a certain type of stamp/engraving. Just wasn't sure if that was true, or just someone trying to talk up their horn.
    The two possibilities aren't mutually exclusive.

A not insignificant number of folks believe "Globe," aka "Round" stamped Sovs, which were made from heavier gauge--and possibily better quality--brass than later Sovs, have a richer sound than their more recent counterparts. For that reason, they are more desirable to some players.

Therefore, it is possible that a Globe/Round Stamp Sov IS more desirable in some circles, AND that a seller is trying to talk his or hers up to boost the sale price.

7. Besson Sovereign 967 Euphonium

i know this can be a subjective question, but generally, which is more desired and/or more valuable? a recent (within 10 years) Sovereign 968 made in Germany, or a Globe Stamp Sovereign made around 1985?

(if both are in the same cosmetic condition)

Christopher Chen
    bolded are for sale
    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp
    B&H 960 (3 valve comp euph) - Globe Stamp
    Salvation Army Triumphonic Eb Alto, silver plated

On the lookout for:
    Silver plated:
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Alto/Tenor Horn
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Baritone (3 valve)

York/Sterling/LMI variants accepted

You hit the nail on the head with the word SUBJECTIVE when it comes to Bessons. One could probably apply this to just about any mid level to pro horn.

I've been on a euphonium-quest for a few months. I've come to the conclusion, I need to just keep trying different horns until I find one that fits my budget and my chops. I tried an older Yamaha 641 last night and it was one of the best horns I've ever played. Unfortunately, it was not for sale!

Good luck with trying to figure out the whole serial #, age, and whether or not its a "good year".

Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

9. Besson Sovereign 967 Euphonium

Both are good horns. Your pick between a thicker build with a bit better tone or a lighter build with better tuning.