Thread: Compensated 3 valves euphonium

1. Compensated 3 valves euphonium

Hi, I'm a new user! I'm not expert with tubas, euphonium world! Does euphonium with 3 valves compensated exist? I know the 4 valves compensated, but a 3 valves compensated I don't understand how it work! Thanks!

Compensated 3 valves euphonium

I don't of anyone who is currently making a 3-valve compensator, but the Besson 766, which turns up surprisingly regularly on ebay, was such an animal.

The leadpipe connectes to the third valve rather than the first valve. If the third valve is NOT depressed, the air travels back through the first and second valves through one set of tubes; if the third valve is depressed, it goes through the third valve then back through the first and second valves by a different path.

The system makes for a lighter horn and actually works quite well.

3. Compensated 3 valves euphonium

Thanks for your answer! So the 3 valve compensating it's a complete instrument! Has it a different fingering?

No. The fingerings are the same as for a three valve non-compensator.

5. Compensated 3 valves euphonium

There has been a good bit of discussion over the last two years or so on this topic; the member contributions are posted on a number of threads under "euph brands" and "euph-misc."

The general consensus on the 3-valve compensating design is that it is a "winner," possibly the ideal instrument for many players and musical settings.

BUT: these instruments have not been produced for perhaps 20 years now (who knows the exact number?), and finding a nice specimen can require a lot of patience.
    Beyond that, the still-existing 3-valve comp'ers are all fitted with medium-shank, "european" mouthpiece receivers and also lack the increased scaling (read: enlarged bores and bells and generally more imposing sound) of more modern instruments.

Fsung, who has contributed to these threads so often, has opined that it is unlikely that this design will ever be revived and up-dated -- even by a chinese manufacturer which enjoys lower development and production costs -- and he is probably right. Unfortunately.

6. Compensated 3 valves euphonium

Thanks A Lot for your answers! I don't win a rare Boosey and Hawkes imperial 3 valve compensating on ebay! It was a very beautiful instrument! I discover this new "for me" compesating sistem! Thanks

Matthorn,

For more discussion of the 3-valve compensator, see the threads Older Besson on eBay and 3-Valve compensators: Is there a future for this design? .